Problems Starting up the computer

saurabh008

Hi Guys
I've got a p4 3.02Ghz computer which has been running fine for 1 year. Normally when I swich it on I hear a beep and then there is a display on the moniter. For past few months I'm having a problem, when I switch on the computer I don't hear any beep and there is no display on the moniter at all as if it's not connected to the computer. But when I restart my computer I hear the beep and everything works fine. When I switched on this morning it worked fine for a wile and then I got the blue screen of death. Now my computer is not working at all. When I start it I don't hear any beep and nothing is desplayed on the computer. Even when I restart its same thing again.
Please Help

Daveb2012

the single beep means your computer passed post (power on self test) which is basically a quick hardware check to ensure that everything is present and functioning properly. since you didnt hear that all I can say from the information you gave in the post is that some peice of hardware is PROBABLY not working.

the only required Hardware to start up a pc is video card, cpu, ram, PSU, mother board. your probably is narrowed down to all of those. Its hard to fix something when you don't knwo whats wrong. You can try taking everything appart and installing only whats required to install the pc to see if this helps. sometimes as odd as it sounds it can fix it, atleast get it to boot. Besides that the only thing you can do to trouble shoot broken hardware is to swap it with known good parts. or test the possible broken parts in a working computer.

randruff

Failing/failed RAM? Easy place to start, try swapping RAM. If you have two sticks, pull one...try starting then. Like Daveb said, you need to narrow down and try and find the faulty hardware. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

saurabh008

Hi
Thanx for your help. I've already reassembled the whole computer but it still doesn't work. All the drives are working coz I can see the lights. I've already reset the bios but that doesn't work either. The thing is that everything seems to be working fine, all the drives, hard disk, graphics card but for some reason nothing comes up on the monitor.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had a similar problem before and restarting the computer used to solve the problem but that doesn't seem to be working anymore. The monitor appears as if it's not getting any signal at all. I'm not sure if this is the problem but there is this thing called DPS(Dual Power Supply) card in my computer. I was making sure that it was inserted properly and I pressed on it and all of a sudden I heard a beep and the computer booted up. But just before Windows could load the computer froze again and now its back to the same thing. Even adjusting the DPS doesn' help. Don't know what to do now...

saurabh008

Hi guys
I've tried everything. Checked the videocard by putting it in my other computer it works just fine. Checked the RAM. But it still wouldn't work.

apj101

VIP Member
so youve confirmed that

ram
graphics
drives
psu
cpu heatsink is set ok

are all working fine. We sounds like your motherboards is all that left. If you could get hold of one to test all components on (including your PSU) then it may put your problem to bed

saurabh008

Can anyone help me out with the Dual Power Supply (DPS) card inserted in the motherboard. What does it actually do? It's not fitted very tightly. There's a metal clip that goes over the card but the card still moves very easily. As I mentioned before my computer started for a while as I was fixing it but as the windows was about to load it froze again.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I would say a motherboard fault, a friend of mine had this problem, basically everything that the CPU and HDD want to display has to travel throught the motherboard. It is in there somewhere that it is going wrong, a fried connection, a melted capacitor.... whatever it is, its not replceable so a new mobo is on the agenda, try it...

saurabh008

Hi guys
Thanx for your help so far
I've tried almost everything and the conclusion I've come up with is that there might be something wrong with my AGP slot coz my graphics card works just fine.Is there any way of checking the AGP slot to make sure that's waht the problem is. If that is the problem, Apart from getting a new motherboard is there anything else I can do to deal with this problem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried almost everything and the conclusion I've come up with is that there might be something wrong with my AGP slot coz my graphics card works just fine.Is there any way of checking the AGP slot to make sure that's waht the problem is.
Kinda ... if you grab a PCI video card you can sorta rule out the specifics of the AGP slot (that and get a known working AGP card too)

you could try a PCI video card and see if that gets anything to display
Bah great minds