Problems With A Friends Computer, Where To Start

jbrown456

Alright guys, I got a really crazy problem here. My friends computer (it is my old one, i gave it to him) is going literally insane. There is no consistent problem with it, it keeps changing.

Where the problem started is when we tried to put a new video card in it. The computer started having (what i think was) some major display driver problems because it wouldn't always start up properly (it would freeze on the post screen), and when it did start up it would restart shortly after or start showing weird patterns on the screen. No keyboard present errors started showing up on boot up too, but i think that was just a coincidence because as soon as i wiggled the keyboard plug a bit they totally went away..

So anyways I decided that a format would be a good idea to see if we could start fresh with the display drivers (because I thought that was the problem). After the format I installed all chipset drivers, video card drivers, sound card drivers... The whole works, and the computer worked fine, until a video game was started.

My friend plays world of warcraft, so that was the main concern for him. Just browsing the internet and things like that worked fine, but as soon as he would start world of warcraft the computer just froze and then the monitor displayed "out of range". After a restart everything worked the same as before, but world of warcraft would not.

After this i thought that the new video card was the problem (its a used card), so i switched back to the internal video card build onto the motherboard, and got rid of all the ATI video drivers, and put the video drivers for the motherboard video card in it.

After this, world of warcraft and everything worked fine (its not really graphics intensive, so the internal card worked alright), but after a restart the computer just makes a funny checkered pattern on the screen, and the post screen kind of just flickers..

Any ideas? I have absolutley no idea whats wrong with it lol.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

This is the motherboard http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=13&l3=63&l4=0&model=228&modelmenu=1

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Most likely onboard is failing. Try the absolute newest drivers for that card. From the web, not from the CD.

jbrown456

Most likely onboard is failing. Try the absolute newest drivers for that card. From the web, not from the CD.

I have all the newest drivers from the web on there already because I lost the cd lol. But I also tried the new video card again and it does the same thing...

Any more ideas?

Thank you very much for your help.

spikebuck77

Have you checked for viruses? Sometimes they cause problems to crop up everywhere and a regular format will not get rid of them. If they cannot be removed with software, sometimes you need to set the drive to zeroes.

jbrown456

Have you checked for viruses? Sometimes they cause problems to crop up everywhere and a regular format will not get rid of them. If they cannot be removed with software, sometimes you need to set the drive to zeroes.
i've tried a new hard drive with a new install of windows on it, so i dont think thats the problem, and i tried the video card in another computer and it worked fine.....

i cant seem to figure out what is causing this. could it be the motherboard is just toasted?

jbrown456

Its a amd semphron 1.1ghz
512 ocz ram
80gb maxtor hard drive
liteon dvd burner
i cant remember the video card, but i think its a radeon 9800 or something like that
with the motherboard i put a link to earlier..
its only a few years old, it was a rather low end system with some upgrades put into it..

Fritzjavel

What is your Power Supply Watt?? because that may be the problem, I was having problems like that when i first installed my 6600... the computer would start and then a few movement of the mouse it would freeze and give Blue Screen, or restart of not start at all...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
"Weird patterns". Explain more? As in a piece of whatever from whatever keeps repeating itself over and over on the screen?

Had that happen on my Compaq V6000 laptop. Turns out one of the fans died... overheated... AND it needed a CMOS flash (faulty CMOS version).

jbrown456

it makes these really weird rectangles over what would be the normal boot screen, and they flicker between black and white... i've also tried another monitor btw..