Problems with new build... help much appreciated

picky

New Member
Hi there, I am having trouble setting up my PC. The BIOS POST messages are all in strange characters, like --||v||>< etc, a message comes up in white text, and then one in red, which I assume is an error but I dont know what the error is. When using a linux or windows install disc, the default resolution is 800x600 and the colours are wrong, lots of pink pixels are added to the display. The install will finish, but then the screen goes black. My specs are below, help would be much appreciated :-)

Asus p7p55-m motherboard
Core i5 2.66Ghz CPU
wireless PCI card
4gb XMS3 Corsair 1333Mhz RAM
1TB hdd
Nvidia Quadro FX 580 graphics card
Dell 2405fpw 24" screen (tried with a dell 15" screen and the problems are the same)

Picky
 
hmmm.... Reset your BIOS first of all. unplug your pc from the power, open it up and remove that circular battery you will see on the motherboard. leave it unplugged for a good 15 minutes, and hit the power button a couple of times. Replace the battery, plug it in and boot up. You might have to hit F1 to continue.

It does sound as if your graphics card is faulty. (i have never heard of a Quadro FX. I assume it is a workstation card, correct?)
 
Ok I have reset the bios as you said and no difference. Once I install the latest drivers from nvidia in either ubuntu or win7 I just get a black screen once it has booted the OS. I think it must be the graphics card, but I dont understand how it is capable of displaying 800x600 ok, if it was damaged would it not work at all?
I have tried to update the motherboard bios, as there is an updated version from the one I have, but the update tool is in gibberish due to the display problem and I cant see what Im doing.

How can I check if it is an IRQ conflict with another device on my system?

Thanks for your help,

Picky
 
unfortunately the motherboard doesnt have any integrated graphics. Im hoping to borrow a different graphics card from a friend tomorrow, and try that.
 
It was the graphics card. Installed different graphics card, and now it installs etc fine and runs full screen resolution. But during boot I still get the error message:

Scan devices,Please wait...
no any devices exist!

not sure what to make of that??
 
Ok well it does boot fine, and it will continue with me pressing the F1 key, even though in the bios I have set it to require F1 keypress on error at boot. Im just going to ignore that for now.

Ive installed speedfan, and there is one temperature Im a bit worried about, it is simply called "AUX" and rarely goes below 80C, even though all my other temps are around 30C idle. How can I find out what device this is? 80 at idle seems a bit hot.
 
Dont worry about the AUX. temp, its the power supply, if it doesnt have a sensor it will give off a wild reading.

What error is it giving to press F1?
 
I tracked it down to an IDE controller, the error was because there are no IDE devices present. disabled the IDE controller in BIOS and now it doesnt show up the error.

thanks for the info about the aux temp. I will ignore it.
 
I am borrowing an 8400 GS from a friend, I have two monitors plugged into it, one in the dvi socket and in the vga, the one on vga will not show its native 1920x1200 resolution, even when I add it as a custom res. any ideas?
 
That video card may not support the resolution you are wanting. Look up the video card model number specifications on the Internet.
 
according to the website it can support up to 2048x1536 on the vga port. adding a custom res in the nvidia panel does not work, saying the monitor does not support it. I know that the monitor supports that res as it will display fine on the dvi port. not sure what else to try... the drivers from dell are only 32bit, so I cant install them. Although the monitors are identical I tried swapping them over, no difference.

I did use a program for adding custom resolutions to the registry via EDID, but cannot recall the name of it now.
 
Turns out there was a bent pin in one of the vga cable connectors. monitor now displays full res on the vga ouput. Thanks for your input.

I have returned the faulty graphics card, I notice you can buy the quadro cards made by HP, Lenovo or PNY. The prices are slightly different. What is the real difference between them then??

Picky
 
Back
Top