Problems with new build: video card kills monitors?

firebird365

I was helping my friend build a computer that he purchased a few weeks ago and we ran into problems when booted it up. There didn't seem to be any problems with the building process itself; we followed the directions in the forum sticky, and I built my own computer so we weren't anticipating trouble.

We hooked the computer up to his monitor (a 19" SAMSUNG 941BW) and recieved an error saying that it was getting no signal. The monitor had been hooked up to his old computer and had been working fine up until that point (we printed the instructions off of that computer). When we unplugged the monitor from his new computer and reattached it to his old one, we got the same error message.

We tried his new computer with a different monitor (which worked) and got the same error message; the second monitor then failed to display anything meaningful when we hooked it up to a working computer.

Does anyone know what happened? Specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHZ CPU
MOBO: Intel Socket T Intel G965 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 Dual Channel RAM
HD: Seagate 7200.10 350GB 7200RPM Perpindicular Recording Technology
GPU: XFX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GPU
CD/DVD: Samsung 18X DVDRW DVD Burner
PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR/P 430W Power Supply
Case: COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

Any help would be appreciated.

Ku-sama

banned
can that PSU even power that system??!?!?

try a better PSU and see if that works

Make sure the 4-pin connector is connected on the mobo

Make sure the PCI-E connector on the back of the card is connected

firebird365

Update:

We just tried his OLD computer with 2 more working monitors and we still can't get any signal. Is this a freak coincidence, that the new video card is broken and his old computer died today? I'm no expert, but I've been looking for topics like this and haven't found any.

firebird365

can that PSU even power that system??!?!?

try a better PSU and see if that works

Well, my current system runs fine (see my signature) on a similar PSU, and I was under the impression that the C2D and 7900GT consume less power than their counterparts in my system.

Thank you for the advice though, I will try to get my hands on a different PSU and see what happens.

kingsPC

no, no, no, this problem is simple fix, it is just because your XP just keep remember the old monitor's resolution that you hooked up when you are building this PC,
to solve,
just hooked up with that old monitor again,
you should have the screen going smooth, then after loading into XP, right click on "My Computer" choose "Properties",
then choose the Tab "Hardware", then click on "Device Manager",
In this page, find your monitor, hit "delete" and click "ok", then close all things, switch off the PC, hooked up the new monitor and you are done!