750W PSU
750GB HD @ 7200RPM
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Ok so today I turn on my computer and I see this

5694422890_c09d9c5578_z.jpg

So i decide to boot into safe mode and re-install my driver

before I do that I get this

5694260241_0dec49eaa0_z.jpg

So I boot into safe mode and re-install my driver, but still have the same problem.

So I asked my friend and he said I need a new GPU

I decide to open up my case and take out the GPU and clean the dust off it and re-install it.

I do so but now when i try to start my comp, all that happens is the heatsink and GPU fans are spinning like crazy, but nothing happens. So I decided to take out my GPU and try it again, and the same thing happens the heatsink is loud as hell but nothing happens..

I already bought another replacement Nvidia 8800GT GPU, and installed it but now the problem is my fans + heatsink are running at 100% and the computer wont boot. I tried the other PCIE slot but the same thing happened. Any idea for a solution to this?

FuryRosewood

did you take precautions against ESD? because the thing im seeing right now looks like the card got damaged by ESD damage or otherwise.

then again thinking back, the 8800s were very problematic, my friend had a 630i and both gpu's he had in it failed due to manufacturing defects but i still have to ask, did you take precautions to prevent static discharge?

theshadowxx

did you take precautions against ESD? because the thing im seeing right now looks like the card got damaged by ESD damage or otherwise.

then again thinking back, the 8800s were very problematic, my friend had a 630i and both gpu's he had in it failed due to manufacturing defects but i still have to ask, did you take precautions to prevent static discharge?

no I did not. which card are you talking about the old one? or the new one that I just got?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd say both cards are defective. I've seen plenty of 8800 cards that overheated and caused lines and overall GPU failures.

Iceyn1pples

I dont think you can buy a new 8800GT. So old.

You might of even fried the Motherboard...have you tried taking out the battery on the motherboard to do a hard Bios Reset?

Is there integrated graphics? If so, the dell might be booting to the onboard video and since it doesnt detect a monitor plugged in, refuses to POST.

If there is integrated graphics, use that first. Then try the video card after tweaking the bios to boot from the PCI-E

theshadowxx

Was it used or new? It may just be DOA if new.

Used. I really doubt its the video card.

I dont think you can buy a new 8800GT. So old.

You might of even fried the Motherboard...have you tried taking out the battery on the motherboard to do a hard Bios Reset?

Is there integrated graphics? If so, the dell might be booting to the onboard video and since it doesnt detect a monitor plugged in, refuses to POST.

If there is integrated graphics, use that first. Then try the video card after tweaking the bios to boot from the PCI-E

Do you mean the little battery on the motherboard and then holding down the power button, then putting the battery back, plugging the comp into an outlet and turning it back on? Also no sadly There are no integrated graphics. I can't even get to the BIOS. Literally nothing happens on the screen, I turn on the comp and the fans run 100% and nothing happens.

Iceyn1pples

To reset your bios do the following.

1. Unplug PC from outlet
2. Remove the battery on the motherboard.
3. Short the connection - use a metal paper clip (or anything that conducts like, a nail) to join the positive and negative leads where the battery sat - of course you took it out in step 2.
4. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Before removing the paperclip press the power button of the PC
5. Put the battery back in, plug the PC to the outlet and try booting up.

Hopefully this brings it back to life.

theshadowxx

To reset your bios do the following.

1. Unplug PC from outlet
2. Remove the battery on the motherboard.
3. Short the connection - use a metal paper clip (or anything that conducts like, a nail) to join the positive and negative leads where the battery sat - of course you took it out in step 2.
4. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Before removing the paperclip press the power button of the PC
5. Put the battery back in, plug the PC to the outlet and try booting up.

Hopefully this brings it back to life.

tried this, sadly the same problem still occurs.

looks like its time for a new motherboard :( thats the only option I see, unless it really is the GPU but I doubt that I would have the same problem twice for two diff graphics cards.

your thoughts?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Other thoughts could be RAM. But I definitely want to rule out the video card before you spend $$$ on a new mobo. Do you have another one (any kind) you can try?