Problems with starting Windows7

kali

Hello people, I am asking advice for a problem that I have with my computer.
I was a happy Windows7 user until suddenly everything "freezed" in my computer and I had to restart it . But the initial restart took longer than expected, and the screen was blocking at "Starting Windows7...." . Then I restarted again for a couple of times, both in "safe mode"(or stg like that) and in normal mode. All hanged at "Starting Windows7" screen.

Then I decided to save all my stuff from C partition to other partitions and then format my C. I loaded Ubuntu 9.10 live CD and it worked nicely, just that the transfer speed was very low.
After than I proceeded to reinstalling Windows7 on 64 bits. I booted the CD and computer hanged in the same way as if I was starting Windows. A few times.
Then I wanted to install XP on C partition. It booted, loaded dll's and formatted 100%, but after that it hanged... for long time... and as if it was late at night I decided to leave it for another day and just sleep.

It never happened this to me before so I would be very happy to get a clue about what's happening. Since Linux worked on my computer, I tend to believe that it is not a hardware problem but I still cant explain why Win7 and Win XP dont even reinstall.... ANY IDEA?

Thank you

i_hate_toms

Hello people, I am asking advice for a problem that I have with my computer.
I was a happy Windows7 user until suddenly everything "freezed" in my computer and I had to restart it . But the initial restart took longer than expected, and the screen was blocking at "Starting Windows7...." . Then I restarted again for a couple of times, both in "safe mode"(or stg like that) and in normal mode. All hanged at "Starting Windows7" screen.

Then I decided to save all my stuff from C partition to other partitions and then format my C. I loaded Ubuntu 9.10 live CD and it worked nicely, just that the transfer speed was very low.
After than I proceeded to reinstalling Windows7 on 64 bits. I booted the CD and computer hanged in the same way as if I was starting Windows. A few times.
Then I wanted to install XP on C partition. It booted, loaded dll's and formatted 100%, but after that it hanged... for long time... and as if it was late at night I decided to leave it for another day and just sleep.

It never happened this to me before so I would be very happy to get a clue about what's happening. Since Linux worked on my computer, I tend to believe that it is not a hardware problem but I still cant explain why Win7 and Win XP dont even reinstall.... ANY IDEA?

Thank you

Have you recently played with your BIOS settings? If not, your HDD is probably about to die. Linux worked because you used it from a live CD. Live linux dirstros work even if you unplug the internal HDD, that's the power of linux!!
Who's the manufacturer of your HDD? Try downloading the manufacturer's HDD health check tool, boot up the computer from that health check CD, and run a short DST on the HDD. If short DST passes, try running a long DST.
It could also be a failing RAM module, but since linux worked, that's highly unlikely. You mentioned that it took unusually long to copy your files to another partition, even while using linux. That's probably because the HDD is having trouble reading and writing data, and is using internal error correction routines.

Last edited: