Processes

Tystrasza

So my old computer usually had about 31-34 processes running and because my comps are for games mostly, i of course want to keep these as low as I can.. so when I built my new computer I wantedto keep my processes below 20. For awhile, I kept it at 18 but that was with every anti-virus, spyware protection program turned off an told not to start up on restart. But the thing is my last computer was at 31 with all of these turned on.. but my new computer which i tried really hard to keep at a minimal, reaches 38-40 with everything told to start up at restart.

So i was wondering, is there any thing I can do do bring them lower? I am sure there are things I DONT need, but when i had all them turned off i was getting errors on how things are not installed an stuff..

palidon112

well, look on the system tray, all those icons are usually programs that are running and using ram. go through there, look at them, figure out what ones you want/need and what ones you dont. some of them you just have to exit out of. and if you have alot of ram all the processes wont make such an impacton performance. i find steam and limewire are two killers as well as adobe cue cs2, i just keep them closed if im not using them. also, look at the ram that the processes re using, how much ram are they using (approx.) and how much ram do you have? in the taskbar go to "performance" and it will show you how much ram you are using

im not sure, but maybe a hijack this log would be helpful? i wouldnt be able to tell you much with it, but im sure other people could.

edit: heh, just checked, ive got 52 processes running and im using 450 out of 1000 mb of ram.

Last edited:

Tystrasza

thingsmo9.jpg

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
palidon112 - that 248Mb you just read is NOT this guys RAM usage, as it states quite clearly it;s the PF usage (pagefile) this being the virtual memory. The space set aside on the harddrive to use as "extra" or "secondary" RAM.

If you knew how to interpret the Task Manager screen a little better you would see the "Physical Memory" stats just below there. from here we can work out:

Total:: 2095596
Free :: 1637968

Thus in use must be 457628

All those numbers are in K, so in use is actually a smidge over 450Mb out of 2Gb which is a tad under a quarter of the total RAM.

tystrasza - that number means pretty much nothing, yes it will change with reflection to what you have running, but it has almsot nothing to do with your physical RAM

dragon2309

Tystrasza

yea but the more running the slower my comp is right? I am trying to keep it below 20 but it seems i have more now when im trying NOT to, then my last comp when Ididnt care. So i want to know what stuff is not important an what stuff i should keep running.