Processor recommendation

xplicitelem3nt

I'm in serach of a laptop that I will mainly use at school. All I will be doing is write papers, surf the net, and watch dvd movies. My question is, which processor is better, Athlon or Pentium Centrino? I've been using pentium all my life, but now my wallet is a little tight and want to get something alittle cheaper. I know that athlon is faster than the pentium, but the pentium is sooooo stable. Thats my main concern. Anyone with a athlon laptop please give me your experience with it. Thanks in advance.

Classic_house

For what you want they are both very good.. you will never see or feel the difference... How much do you want to spend and where are you in the world? have a look at my sig i got this for 838£

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My Averatec has a Sempron in it. The performace is fine for basic typing and such. I've never really noticed it lagging or anything like that. The only problem I have is that it uses the fan a good bit. If this bothers you, you may want to consider the Centrino as it probably runs cooler

xplicitelem3nt

Classic_house said:
For what you want they are both very good.. you will never see or feel the difference... How much do you want to spend and where are you in the world? have a look at my sig i got this for 838£

I'm from the USA. How much is that in usa currency? How stable is the athlon? I don't want to see it crashing on me while running multiple programs in the background.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
xplicitelem3nt said:
I'm from the USA. How much is that in usa currency? How stable is the athlon? I don't want to see it crashing on me while running multiple programs in the background.
£838 is about $1500 but if you buy from Newegg then you can get it for so much cheaper

Daveb2012

neither is better. atholons are more aimed for gaming. pentiums are better mathematically. a pentium 4 3.4ghz is always better then an athlon xp, but an Athlon65 fx-55 will out perform any pentium in the world over clocked or not.. for what you said you need the laptop for dont worry about the CPU worry about brand.. dell and toshiba make good laptops..

Lax

VIP Member
Athlon65 fx-55 will out perform any pentium in the world over clocked or not..

For gaming maybe, for multitasking and processor intensive(ness) a P4 (of equal performance) will beat an FX-55.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yup... As the benchmarks show, the P4's are basically always ahead of the Athlons in multitasking and such. Still, value wise, you tend to get better deals with AMD. Even though I do more multitasking than anything, I still went with an AMD...in all my computer ;)

Don't go for a Pentium 4. It's hot and has very little battery life. Go for a Compaq R4000 with up to an AMD 64 4000+. If you're going for a pentium M, go for a dell 9300 or dell d810. If you want to wait, wait 2 years for the yonah pentium M dual-core which should support 64-bit and would probably be way better than current chips.
Roger

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
pentiums are better mathematically
It is?

but an Athlon65 fx-55 will out perform any pentium in the world over clocked or not..
Really?

I'll spend alittle extra for stability
All consumer level processors are stable

Don't go for a Pentium 4. It's hot and has very little battery life. Go for a Compaq R4000 with up to an AMD 64 4000+.
hehe and you think the A64-4000 has a lot of battery life?