Processor replacement

fade2green514

wow. okay, an athlon XP would definitely be better than a socket A sempron.

as far as dual channel or ddr goes, always take CPU speed over memory speed. if you can get a computer running single channel and 2.4ghz take that over a computer running dual channel 2.2ghz ANYDAY (assuming the processor architecture is the same)

thats a good processor though, either way.

a better upgrade might be that video card, if you do a lot of gaming the 9600 series is WAY outdated. plus im sure that sempron is overclockable anyways.

if you think you might want to get a new computer, im sure you could sell that computer for $300 or so if you find someone that in the market for it, then build yourself a nice core 2 duo machine for around $600-$800.
that means, pci-express, ddr2 + dual channel, dual core, better processor architecture...
so many upgrades in one... plus it'll support windows vista, you can get a really big hard drive for cheap (sata2 even) and it'll support DirectX 10 when the cards become affordable and DirectX 10 games are made available.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow. okay, an athlon XP would definitely be better than a socket A sempron.

as far as dual channel or ddr goes, always take CPU speed over memory speed. if you can get a computer running single channel and 2.4ghz take that over a computer running dual channel 2.2ghz ANYDAY (assuming the processor architecture is the same)

thats a good processor though, either way.

a better upgrade might be that video card, if you do a lot of gaming the 9600 series is WAY outdated. plus im sure that sempron is overclockable anyways.

if you think you might want to get a new computer, im sure you could sell that computer for $300 or so if you find someone that in the market for it, then build yourself a nice core 2 duo machine for around $600-$800.
that means, pci-express, ddr2 + dual channel, dual core, better processor architecture...
so many upgrades in one... plus it'll support windows vista, you can get a really big hard drive for cheap (sata2 even) and it'll support DirectX 10 when the cards become affordable and DirectX 10 games are made available.

Hmm thanks everyone,

I mean a Processor upgrade isnt realy neccesary for what i do,But i soppose those Athlons for socket A are quite cheap now.

I am gonna be getting a new Computer soon but i think il just keep my sempron and save the money for my new compy.

Once i get my new comp anyway this one will be used by my sister for Homework/Coursework and maybe F@H.

pyvnetrvne.

banned
PC eye, you just don't give up, do you?
PC eye said:
The highest model Atholon was the XP3200 and the first cpu to support the dual channel mode.
Mind explaining how my Athlon XP 2800+ ran my two 512 sticks in dual channel mode just fine without any hitches?
PC eye said:
The XP3200 was the first model cpu to have the needed dual channel support designed into it.
Considering that the Athlon XP's don't even have an on die memory controller?

To reiterate what StrangleHold said, the memory controller for Athlon XP's is located on the northbridge, and is the deciding factor on dual channel support, not the processor.
PC eye said:
As I mentioned earlier the 3200+ was the first cpu actually designed as a dual channel cpu. The boards had it but not the cpus.
Okay, and which Athlon XP revision/stepping finally allowed for dual channel support? I'd love to know.

Other than that, you're wrong until proven right. Show us some hard data supporting your idea that the Athlon XP 3200+ was the first Athlon XP to support dual channel.

Oh, and don't sway from the argument by throwing in irrelevant data, like you have been doing.

Last edited:

fade2green514

yea wow. sorry about all this crap AMD. i dono, i really try to help people out... but wether or not your processor or any other processor for socket A has dual channel its completely unnecessary until you get into dual and quad core processing which socket A doesnt even support...

just talk to us before you get a new computer and we'll no doubt have a huge argument about crap that doesnt matter and then someone like myself will help answer your question.

PC eye

banned
PC eye, you just don't give up, do you?

Mind explaining how my Athlon XP 2800+ ran my two 512 sticks in dual channel mode just fine without any hitches?

Considering that the Athlon XP's don't even have an on die memory controller?

To reiterate what StrangleHold said, the memory controller for Athlon XP's is located on the northbridge, and is the deciding factor on dual channel support, not the processor.

Okay, and which Athlon XP revision/stepping finally allowed for dual channel support? I'd love to know.

Other than that, you're wrong until proven right. Show us some hard data supporting your idea that the Athlon XP 3200+ was the first Athlon XP to support dual channel.

Oh, and don't sway from the argument by throwing in irrelevant data, like you have been doing.

Hey buddy! how's it hanging? I was wondering when you were going to drop by and throw your two cents in. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
Hey buddy! how's it hanging? I was wondering when you were going to drop by and throw your two cents in. :p

Hey buddy! How's it hanging? I was wondering when you would start posting things that you actually know, and not what you think you know.

Grey410

Lol

^^^ LOL

ANYWAYS. I think saving your money for a new comp is a good idea. The Core 2 Duo's are very nice. I'd budget about $1000 then build a pretty darn nice computer. Good luck and let us know if you need anymore advice/help/ amusing rants on your threads. :p :D :p