Program clearer

Chris_com28

I have a pop-up blocker that never really worked but now I want to uninstall it it doesn't uninstall properly. It's ont detected in the control pannel but it's still there on my tool bar and reminds me to register sometimes. Is there a program I can use to delete programs fully? I read of a Norton program that can do this but I haven't been able to find it.

magusbuckley

When you try to uninstall a program that is running, the Add/Remove Programs part of the control panel will tell you that the program has been uninstalled, but some parts were unable to be deleted. Your best bet is to start your PC in safe mode. This way, you know the program isn't running because Windows will load only what it needs to get your computer to an operational state. To do this, reboot and Press F8 when the system beeps. From the menu, slect Safe Mode. When the system boots, look for the folder the program was installed to on your hard drive. You need to delete this folder. In addition, the registration message you are getting is activate at system startup. On the start menu, look for any reference to that particular program. Be sure to look for references to the program in the "Startup" section of the start menu. You can right click on the reference and then choose delete from the pop up menu. Reboot your machine and pray all is well. If you are still having trouble, you may have to go one step further. This one is a bit more time consuming, but not difficult. On the start menu, choose RUN. On the command line type "MSCONFIG". When the window appears on your screen, select the startup tab at the top of the window. This programs in this list are programs that start each time you boot your computer. Look in this list for any reference to your Pop Up Blocker. You can uncheck any of the references to prevent those programs from running on system startup. Reboot the machine. When windows comes up to the desktop, you will get a warning message stating that you have chosen selective startup for getting your machine up and running. That's OK. We want that because we wanted to be selective about what programs will run at system startup. Before you close that window, be sure to check the "Do not show at next boot" or this message will haunt you every time you turn on your machine. Past that, your only bet is to edit the registry, but I can't explain that to you here. I surely don't recomend you doing that by yourself if you are unexperienced in that particular department of the PC world. Good luck on your uninstall. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Make sure you stop the program before you attempt to uninstall it

2. After uninstalling, u can delete the installation path

3. You can also use 3rd party uninstallers

4. Have a run-through of the registry to clear out the junk in there :)