Programs loading fast?

Bigshow1030

As there any "tricks" or such that one can do to ensure that the programs are loading at the fastest speed possible? I guess by shutting certain things off and so on....... :confused:

Greg J.

VIP Member
Defragmenting your hard drive and making sure you have resources free in the system will help. Having a very fast processor, a good amount of RAM (512 MB or more), and a quality video card can speed applications up and decrease loading time. Having a clean registry is also a bonus. :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Exactly...

One more thing. Make sure you disable un-needed programs from automatically starting up. Many programs are really not crucial at all to the existence of your pc. Sometimes they only speed up the program starting when you wish to open it. Disable as many as you want...except those such as the antivirus, firewall and other crucial services :D . This should speed things up.

JAN :D

Bobo

banned
jancz3rt said:
One more thing. Make sure you disable un-needed programs from automatically starting up. Many programs are really not crucial at all to the existence of your pc. Sometimes they only speed up the program starting when you wish to open it. Disable as many as you want...except those such as the antivirus, firewall and other crucial services :D . This should speed things up.

I knew this at one time, but then I forgot. :eek:

How do you get to the startup list??

Sparticle

Bobo said:
I knew this at one time, but then I forgot. :eek:

How do you get to the startup list??

It's easy. Start -> Programs -> Startup
Just delete anything that slows your computer down, which is most likely almost everything.

Tha Killa

I heard that if you go to
control panel/performance and maintenance/system, then go to advanced tab, click on performance settings, advanced tab once again, and set memory usage to system cache, it will speed up some systems. Anyone tried this/does it work?

Sebouh

well a friend told me to change the vitrual memory size and put initial 200mb and max 800mb, and said this would make the performance for better for games and stuff.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Here Here Here!

DO THIS: CLICK ON RUN UNDER THE START MENU...TYPE IN MSCONFIG AND CLICK ENTER. THEN SELECT STARTUP AND UNCHECK ANY UNNEEDED PROBGRAMS THAT YOU ARE SURE ARE OF NO IMPORTNACE. GOOD LUCK. Simply removing it from Programs -> Startup is not effective in most cases as only a few programs add themselves there.

Bobo

banned
jancz3rt said:
DO THIS: CLICK ON RUN UNDER THE START MENU...TYPE IN MSCONFIG AND CLICK ENTER. THEN SELECT STARTUP AND UNCHECK ANY UNNEEDED PROBGRAMS THAT YOU ARE SURE ARE OF NO IMPORTNACE. GOOD LUCK. Simply removing it from Programs -> Startup is not effective in most cases as only a few programs add themselves there.

That's what it is, I jjust couldnt remember

Thanks

sypher822

boosted virtual memory is always a good idea, with the extra memory on disk it will put less strain on your RAM, and still allow you to play demanding games.

although with virtual memory you may have like 1000MB, or 1300MB of ram depending, i would not suggested running a game in which u do not meet the physical RAM requirements. :)

Bigshow1030

boosted virtual memory

HOw does one go and change this again....meaning the virtual memory....also, I thought cache was almost non-existant anymore but I guess I was wrong....what do I do with the cache to help speed up.? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well a friend told me to change the vitrual memory size and put initial 200mb and max 800mb, and said this would make the performance for better for games and stuff.
You can also disable the virtual memory if you've got lots of physical memory.

You can also disable and delete system services you dont need

Bigshow1030

virtual memory

in all reality what benefit does one get from virtual memory? I Understand the whole physical memory side of it but what is virtual memory really doing?

Sebouh

What is Virtual Memory?
Most computers today have something like 32 or 64 megabytes of RAM available for the CPU to use (see How RAM Works for details on RAM). Unfortunately, that amount of RAM is not enough to run all of the programs that most users expect to run at once.

For example, if you load the operating system, an e-mail program, a Web browser and word processor into RAM simultaneously, 32 megabytes is not enough to hold it all. If there were no such thing as virtual memory, then once you filled up the available RAM your computer would have to say, "Sorry, you can not load any more applications. Please close another application to load a new one." With virtual memory, what the computer can do is look at RAM for areas that have not been used recently and copy them onto the hard disk. This frees up space in RAM to load the new application.
Because this copying happens automatically, you don't even know it is happening, and it makes your computer feel like is has unlimited RAM space even though it only has 32 megabytes installed. Because hard disk space is so much cheaper than RAM chips, it also has a nice economic benefit.

Source: www.howstuffworks.com

Bigshow1030

cache

I really thought that has something to do with the cache.........Like spooling if you will.......I thought everything was put into the cache like you said when it "copies" it to the hard drive to free up ram

Bigshow1030

thnx

What would I look for to happen if I disable virtual memory ....will it load quicker since I have 1gb of pc-3200? :D