Programs loading fast?

stalex111

Greg J. said:
Defragmenting your hard drive

To do this, you either go on run, and type defrag, or you can go on
START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYTEM TOOLS, DISK DEFRAGMENTER.
In the same menu you'll see disk cleanup etc. :)

mgoldb2

VIP Member
sypher822 said:
boosted virtual memory is always a good idea, with the extra memory on disk it will put less strain on your RAM, and still allow you to play demanding games.

I can understand if you going over your physcial ram the use for virtural memory. It allows you to run things even when you out of physical ram. What I dont see is how it increases your performance by using virtural memory. Virtural memory is MUCH slower then physcial memory. I would think if you have enough physical ram in your computer to handle things that you would want to avoid using virtual memory.

Bigshow1030

exactly

that is why i have decided to try and disable my virtual memory.....I have 1gb of physical memory and I figure that should be enough to run my everyday tasks....as far as games like half life and so on is where I am not sure

zeefrenchman

The genaral rule is to set your virtual memory at 1.5 times the amount of your ram and it's best to have the cache in a different partition than your operating system.

Bigshow1030

huh

is that right? I was under the understanding that you would want to completely take out the virtual memory and any of its "add ons" that way you are mainly just using physical! :eek:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you have set aside a part of the harddrive for virtual memory doesn't mean it will be used. I would always have some virtual memory allocated because if you go over the amount of physical memory you have windows tries to use virtual memory and if there's not enough it gets mad. Then it increases the amount of virtual memory and pops up an ecpection box to tell you.

Bigshow1030

humming

To be perfectly honest with you when ever I am doing something I have went to task manager and I am using no where near 3/4 of my physical memory......I guess you coudl say I really don't ever do anything that puts that much stress on

OS Dragon

I have a Intel Celeron (Not of my own will :p ) 2.4GHZ. Is there a way of allocating a certain amount of CPU usage to a program? because every time I rum Turbo Pascal, it uses 100% CPU and then the laptop fans starts up making an awful sound. :(

Bigshow1030

hmmm

I have 3 particular programs that stress the computer way down.2 of them ask me if I want to run in the background at half stress basically....the other one doesn't ........If you find a way to do this please let me know because I am running into the same problem that you are :eek: