PROJECT: Car-Puter!

massahwahl

VIP Member
I got the go ahead from my lovely fiancee to tackle this project. We just bought a 2010 Dodge Caliber and I have always wanted a car-puter and think this vehicle has the room to accommodate one. Here is what I want:

Touch screen that will fit in this slot:

fighting_the_world
fighting_the_world

I believe an 8" screen could be mounted comfortably inside with enough room to run a cable and still close the slot when we exit the vehicle. As for the actual pc box there is a really dumb 'chill zone' in the glovebox for drinks which is super dumb and just routes the AC to the glovebox. However, with a constant source of air, this may be a good place for it. Its not very tall but I was wandering if it would be possible to just mount the motherboard and parts in here without actually using a case:

fighting_the_world
fighting_the_world

I have a friend who is going to help me that knows a hell a lot more about cars than I do, but I have some practical questions. First, what would be the best way to power this thing? Also, is there a version of linux that would accommodate a car system or another free OS to use? I also want to have USB ports mounted inside the center console for plugging in my Zune, phone, etc. I will use my blackberry as a route to the internet and to piggyback off of its GPS for google maps.

The main use of the system will be music, GPS and I want to mount a webcam on the back of the car to use as a rearview camera.

Has anyone else here ever done this? And what kind of budget do you think I should a lot for myself? Also, what parts are you thinking would be good?

Any help would be great! Ill be posting pictures as I go! Probably wont be starting for another month or so.

sniperchang

For power, it depends if you go PC or laptop route. PCs require a bunch of different voltage, you may as well just get an inverter and standard PC power supply.

Laptops usually require one voltage, so you may able to find a DC to DC converter that will do the trick. Not only is it more efficient, but laptops them selves are also more efficient than PCs.

You may want to consider getting a Single Board Computer. They are computers with all the components you need and come in very small form factors (you can get 3.5" ones, same dimension as a hard drive actually, for a decent price).

EDIT: here's an example of one (full list from same company). I think that particular board can use the car's 12V system directly, seems to be 12~28V.

Last edited:

danthrax

[-0MEGA-];1459840 said:
Just get a netbook and touchscreen monitor. No need for desktop components.

Ditto... Your idea is very intriguing and I'm sure it could be done and be great, but I can see you encountering a lot of issues along the way if you chose the desktop route.

It sounds like the easy way out and wouldn't be much of a challenge, but Omega's idea I think would be best.

P.S.
It's a Dodge Caliber, so it probably won't last you that long anyway ;)

massahwahl

VIP Member
how big of an hdd could I get in an netbook? I could always get an external hdd and mount it in the center console too. One thing Im worried about is voiding my warranty, so i need to do some research on that first too..

massahwahl

VIP Member
You could always just get a tablet netbook. Here's a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146704
No SSD, but you could get one if it's a problem.

There's also this one, which has an SSD, but also has the much older z-series processor(lower clock speed and no HT) and GMA 500 graphics:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220661

A tablet would work, but Im not sure where I would mount it to make an efficient option, Both of those are to big to fit in the storage area.