Project haf

funkysnair

VIP Member
you getting the flaiming blade then?

brilliant mobo, obviously there is always better but its nice for overclocking (i love mine)

good luck on your project, hope it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg like mine

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Well, I actually haven't had the Excaliburs spinning yet, but BBSK got some during testing.

Can someone contact that guy at HardForum with my email? I don't want to make an account just to buy one thing...

Its well worth it, lots of good deals at [h], their marketplace seems to have alot more activity than ours.

ScottALot

I still haven't decided on the mobo... the FlamingBlade is cheaper + a bit better performer, but with the SLI LE, I could pull off an amazing acetal theme.

ScottALot

I contacted the guy with the fans...

Sorry I haven't posted pics today/yesterday. Today my sister was using the camera, yesterday I just forgot... hopefully, tomorrow, I remember.

ScottALot

Sorry again, it's gonna be a while on the pics. For now, everyone can vote for one of these mobos:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000280&Description=X58%20Motherboard&page=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-186-171^13-186-171-TS%2C13-188-049^13-188-049-TS

If I get a FoxConn, the GPU blocks will be EK 5850 Nickels and the CPU block will be a Supreme HF Full Copper + Nickel plating. If I get an EVGA, the GPU blocks will be EK 5850 Acetals and the CPU Block will be the Nickel-Acetal EK Supreme HF and possibly a full cover block with acetal.

FoxConn: 1
EVGA: 1

Last edited:

bomberboysk

get the evga. 4 pcie slots vs 2 on the foxconn, 6 ram slots vs 2 on the foxconn

Flamingblade has three memory slots, utilizing all memory slots on an X58 board is not very cost effecient as it is best to have fully matching DIMMs(which is why 6x2gb kits are more expensive), and when you are not planning on running more than two video cards that is a nil factor.Not to mention, by the time you will need 12gb of memory intel will have released a new socket anyhow. The EVGA LE boards are cheap boards that are designed to have as high of a profit margin as possible, and being the same cost as the Foxconn board, the EVGA board will be of a lower quality. This is due in part to the fact that EVGA is a fabless manufacturer, where boards are outsourced to another company(such as foxconn) to do the manufacturing. Foxconn on the other hand can develop their boards in house and manufacture them, resulting in higher profit margins but also higher quality products as well. The Foxconn board also has a far better cooling system on the chipset/vregs, and a much better PWM design than the X58 LE.

ScottALot

Just a note: Voting isn't going to make me decide one or the other... but hopefully it gets some nice opinions like Bomber's and Ganzey's abbreviated one.

ScottALot

Okay, I'm starting to lean back towards P55 because I feel like P55 is more budget-friendly, compares easily to X58, and works for my aesthetic pleasures.

xxartanisxx

personally i would go with the evga one... I just think the colors would look a little better having the motherboard more consistent but maybe not kinda hard to tell. But more RAM and pci slots would do it for me

ScottALot

I think I'm gonna back down to P55 ... I feel with X58, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I'm between the EVGA P55 SLI LE and the ASUS Maximus III Formula (Recertified)

ScottALot

Okay, the ASUS Maximus III Recert is gone, so I guess I'm getting P55 FTW SLI unless something better comes out while I'm getting the money. I'm trying to get pics, guys, but I think it'll have to wait until Friday.

ScottALot

Tomorrow I don't have tennis practice, I'll post 'em then... soon I'll be getting random accessories including fans, screws, a Sunbeam MFPP, and more!

ScottALot

Ok, while the pics are uploading (FlickR wasn't working yesterday... said server was down, but it looked fine) I have a couple things to say...

I'm going with P55 FTW SLI motherboard unless there's something epically terrible about it.
Dual 4890s or single 5870? I don't want to spend a bunch just for DX11, which, to be honest, I won't be using much if at all. Both options will be watercooled by EK blocks and be XFX brand.

funkysnair

VIP Member
well you would have to buy 2 water blocks for the dual 4890, i say go for the 5870 with one water block-its a nice gpu and there will be space to upgrade in future

less power consumption and roughly the same performance (dx11 is the bonus)

i bought the 5850 and unlocked the bios up to 5870 spec so i saved some money that way but its your call

bomberboysk

well you would have to buy 2 water blocks for the dual 4890, i say go for the 5870 with one water block-its a nice gpu and there will be space to upgrade in future

less power consumption and roughly the same performance (dx11 is the bonus)

i bought the 5850 and unlocked the bios up to 5870 spec so i saved some money that way but its your call

That doesn't help the fact that the 5870 has more shaders than the 5850...

I'd vote single 5870 as well, less heat/power consumption than two 4890's, no need to deal with scaling issues either.

As far as motherboards, this is a better board than the P55 FTW imo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186176

funkysnair

VIP Member
not really bothered as the difference in shaders is minimal, i saved £100 on my 5850 and i have benched it with an identicle system and mine falls short "just!!"