Proper Precautions with OCing

Grimulus

I'd like to OC the 'ol Barton. I'd like to find the proper temp they are to run at but I would like to read the proper way to conduct air flow in the case and just the general stuff of OCing. Does anyone know of a good website or something I could read up on or if you want to post something here that would be awesome. I know how to OC, but I want to make sure I do it the right way so I won't daamge my comp.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There's no "proper" operating temperature. It runs at whatever temperature it runs at (naturally the cooler the better)

but I want to make sure I do it the right way so I won't daamge my comp
Rule One: Take it slow
Rule Two: 48hr burn in
Rule Three: Use some common sense.

Seriously there isnt anything to OCing .... as long as you dont make 500Mhz increases at a time and you take the time to test it out afterwards, you should be fine

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well that depends on your ambient temp dont it? ;) Where I live, Bartons boot up at 40º and stress out at 60º with stock cooling.

Grimulus

good deal. i think mine is somewhere in that range...i'd like to knock it down to at most 40 while stressed.

TheChef

Praetor said:
Rule One: Take it slow
Rule Two: 48hr burn in
Rule Three: Use some common sense.

Seriously there isnt anything to OCing .... as long as you dont make 500Mhz increases at a time and you take the time to test it out afterwards, you should be fine

I've never OC'd before and Im looking to do it. I've read about it and such (my dad won't let me on anyone's computer but my own :p ) but I haven't had the experience. What increments should I use, and what does 48 hr burn in mean. Ocing a 2600+ to a 3200+ is fine right?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What increments should I use
The biggest you feel comfortable taking (as long as you're not taking 500Mhz jumps that is). The smaller the better I guess.

what does 48 hr burn in mean
Play with the computer for 48Hrs -- and no, benchmarking doesnt count -- it stresses the CPU but they test the CPU in very specific ways and most often many systems "pass" (with obvious exceptions) but then they "fail" when it comes to day-to-day use... run it through a few benchmarks and then actually use the system.

Ocing a 2600+ to a 320+ is fine right?
Should be, provided you're not running the stock cooler :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody can tell you what you can OC too -- figure it out -- it's very device specific so nobody can really tell you. As for cooling, just normal common sense! :) (i.e., get a bigger fan if its running too hot etc., really simple stuff)

Grimulus

so no rocket science is involved? My solution was to do what you said and get big good quality fans but yeah, i've heard that isn't all good sometimes...so yeah...*shrugs*
I guess my plan was good after all.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah its pretty much a trial and error deally... experience helps but again, you and your buddy can have identical setups yet he can OC 400Mhz and you can onlyu OC 50Mhz... happens all the time.