[Proposed Tech Guide - Please Comment] Guide To Faster OS Installation

lucasbytegenius

Guide To Faster Operating System Install Times
By lucasbytegenius​

As anyone who has ever installed an OS knows, it can really get dull and frustrating during the time it takes to install. Well, here are a few legal, easy, and fast ways to significantly speed up the install process for Microsoft Windows and Apple’s Mac OS X.

Your hard disk drive is faster​

Installing from a CD or DVD drive is slow, no matter how fast your machine is. Most people who install programs from their hard drives or memory sticks notice how much faster it is to install compared to CDs and DVDs. So, it stands to reason that installing an operating system from a hard disk or memory stick is much faster than from CDs and DVDs.
Here are some techniques I use to install Windows and Mac OS X:

For Windows:

There are two ways to put the Windows installation files on a hard disk or memory stick: One way is to copy the entire contents of the Windows CD or DVD to an empty partition on the disk, and if your computer’s BIOS supports it, temporarily select a device to start up from. Otherwise, you have to go into your BIOS, and explore to find out how to change the boot device priority. This is a hassle, and you have to revert back to the drive you’re installing to after the first restart after booting from the CD or DVD. If you’re installing a 64-bit Windows version, you’re forced to do this.
But there is a better way, and this works great if you’re installing Windows XP, Vista or 7 (32-bit) on a netbook or other computer without a CD or DVD drive. Download Win-to-Flash at the Win-to-Flash website, and as a stand-alone application, there is no installation, great if you have BartPE or WinPE. Run Win-to-Flash, and click the “Windows Setup Transfer Wizard” button, as shown.

Wintoflashsnip1.jpg

Once the Wizard opens, click Next.

Wintoflashsnip2.jpg

Now, on this page, select the drive letter of your Windows CD or DVD, or, if you copied the files to a partition or folder, navigate to it by clicking Select. Then, select the empty destination, either a flash drive or a hard disk partition, depending on how you want to install. When you’re finished, click Next.

Wintoflashsnip3.jpg

Accept the license agreement, making sure that you are allowed to make a backup copy, as defined in section 10 a.

Wintoflashsnip4.jpg

The transfer will start, formatting the drive, making it bootable, and transferring the Windows setup files.

Wintoflashsnip5.jpg

When the transfer is complete, click Exit. Sometimes the program has errors when formatting the drive (it is the beta version, after all) so if it happens you will have to click the link to return to the main screen or open WintoFlash again and select the Advanced tab, and in the Process Steps tab, deselect Format Drive, and go from there. Also recommended for advanced users (pretty much all of us). Similar to the Wizard, the Advanced tab has tweaks like the ability to automatically accept the EULA, enter the product key, and more.

For Mac OS X:​

There are several ways, but the easiest comes with the Mac OS. Disk Utility is a great application that has been shipped with Mac OS X since 10.0. No downloads here, just open the Finder and navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ or press Shift+Command+U and open Disk Utility. If you booted from the Mac OS X install CD or DVD, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

Picture%203.jpg

Next, select the Mac OS X CD or DVD and click the Restore button.
Then drag the OS X CD or DVD into the Source box and then drag the disk or partition to receive the setup files to the Destination. Click Restore.
You may have to restore multiple times if the setup files are on several CDs. Just don’t erase the destination and it will work.

Picture%201.jpg

Note before you click Restore:
Be sure your license from Apple allows you to make a backup copy. For Leopard and maybe Snow Leopard, open the Welcome to (codename) in the Instructions folder on your Mac OS X DVD. The license is in Chapter 3, and the article is section 2, C.

The transfer of the Mac OS X setup files is complete when there is no longer a progress bar in the lower right of the Disk Utility window.
To boot from the hard disk or memory stick, open System Preferences>Startup Disk, enter your administrator’s password if necessary, then select the disk you restored to with Disk Utility, and then click Restart. If you booted from the CD or DVD, select Startup Disk in the Utilities menu, and select the disk you restored to with Disk Utility. You can also hold down the Option key after the startup chime, and select a disk.

Less stuff, less time

In Mac OS X, and some older versions of Windows, you can customize what is installed. For example, in Mac OS X, by default all the language packs are installed. You most likely don’t speak or use all those languages, and they take up several gigabytes of space.
Since almost no one uses Windows ME or earlier anymore, this section is devoted to Mac OS X.

Mac OS X Customization

Here’s how to make your Mac OS X installation lean’n’mean.
In Leopard and later, boot from the installation CD, DVD, memory stick, or partition, then select your language, click the arrow, click Continue, click Agree when the license agreement appears, select the destination to install to, click Continue, and then click Customize in the lower left of the Installer window. Deselect the packages you don’t need, such as language translations and some printer drivers, then click Done and click Install. Tip: If you only speak English, you can deselect all the language packs.
In Tiger, boot from the installation CD, DVD, memory stick, or partition, then select your language, click the arrow, click Continue, click Continue, click Agree when the license agreement appears, select the destination to install to, click Continue, then click Customize in the lower left of the Installer window. Deselect the packages you don’t need, such as language translations and some printer drivers, then click Install. Tip: If you only speak English, you can deselect all the language packs.

Conclusion and Notes

You have just learned how to boost installation time on Microsoft Windows and Apple’s Mac OS X. We hope this guide helped you. This guide is best used if you are having errors during installation and have to restart the installation or need to have a quick way to install next time. It is, however crazy it might seem, quicker to copy from CD or DVD than to install. Why? Because it’s faster to access data continuously, like when copying, than to access it at different points on the disk at random, like when installing from CD or DVD.
If this hasn’t been expressed enough, READ YOUR LICENSE before transferring the setup files.
When a license says you can only use one copy of the software on one computer, it means that only one installation can be performed from the media on one computer, and you can’t use the media on another computer unless you destroy the previous installation. In a nutshell, one disc, one computer, at one time.
When a license allows you to make a “Backup copy”, it means that you can make one copy of the disc, but only use one of the copies. Like in this case, once you transfer the setup files, the media you transferred from can’t be used until the copy you made is destroyed. So if you want to use your Windows or Mac OS X CD or DVD again, you have to format the partition you transferred the setup files to before you can use it.
Be aware that neither the author nor computerforum.com shall be held accountable for any damages, license invalidations, loss of data, and/or other. This document is only a guide, you the reader and/or executor are solely held responsible for any broken laws, loss of your software license and/or other. We have no part in this whatsoever, and we will not respond to a lawsuit.
When transferring setup files to a memory stick or partition, be sure you don’t have anything on it.
If you do get an error while using WintoFlash during formatting, your device may be unreadable and appear corrupted. You will have to open Disk Management and repartition the device. No known reason why this happens.
The operating systems used during the writing of the guide are Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate and Apple Mac OS X Leopard and Tiger.
All trademarks belong to their respective owners, i.e. Windows belongs to Microsoft Corporation and Mac OS X belongs to Apple, Inc.

Please post comments and suggestions.

linkin

VIP Member
Very good :)

But I would try to break up the paragraphs a bit more, to make it easier to read... or maybe it's just me because it's 3:39AM here :eek:

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Bump for some more feedback. Any constructive criticism? The guide is well written and I haven't tried this myself, but I am skeptical that install times would be dramatically increased by using these methods. Maybe I'm wrong?

We do get a lot of "How do I install [insert Windows OS version here] from USB" questions, so in that respect this guide is useful.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah thanks for your time in making this,I hate it when you have to dig out the 7 dvd and await for my slow external DVD-RW to read and install windows...Now i can transfer my copy to USB...I went through the guide quite quickly as im tired but i didnt see a mention anywhere in the guide how big USB thumb drive each OS requires.

It would be better if you put USB disk size requirements such as

Xp 32 bit = ?mb
Xp 64bit = ?mb
Vista 32bit = ?Gb
Vista 64bit = ?Gb
Win 7 32bit = ?gb

you get the idea. :)...just so the user knows what size USB pen drive he will need for his OS :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Bump for some more feedback. Any constructive criticism? The guide is well written and I haven't tried this myself, but I am skeptical that install times would be dramatically increased by using these methods. Maybe I'm wrong?

We do get a lot of "How do I install [insert Windows OS version here] from USB" questions, so in that respect this guide is useful.

I was asked by Mep to chime in. Here are a few suggestions, and perhaps some things to expand your guide upon.

1 - system updates are always a hassle. In the process of creating your image, or up-to-date OS installer, you need to slipstream your OS updates. This reduces the time you have to manually download and install them post installation. This can be accomplished by several ways. See examples:

Windows - Look at vlite and nlite, which allow you to build an OS install and slipstream all the updates into a nice image file. This speeds up installs and allows you to add Service packs, security patches, and hot fixes right into your OS installation.

OS X - there is an open source project from afp548.com called instaDMG. This is probably the sweetest thing since sliced bread. It is just simply a set of python scripts, that take your OS X installer DVD and creates an image file of it, then you run the instaup2date python script and it downloads all the Apple updates for that OS installation and then merges the images together and block copies them into one image file. That image file you can use for block copying over target disk mode boot, or burn to a dual layer DVD.

This is all 100% legal as long as you own legit copies of everything, and do not break any EULAs.

2) Applications - to add or not to add. One annoying thing is if you reinstall and you have 400 gigs of apps, well that is like half a day of swapping out disks and installing. Creating an image file of the apps installed in your OS may be beneficial.

3) install versus block copying. Whenever you can block copy over USB, Firewire, or Ehternet, it is a lot faster than the installer running. This is a more advanced set up, and is not really used that much outside enterprise environments.

4) Advanced usage - no one will really benefit from this that much because it requires leg work and some advanced knowledge. However, if you have say several PCs and Macs in your home, you may want to set up a base image, of the OS and any files and apps (which you own legally of course) for everything. Then use some sort of software (ghost, acronis, open source, netboot, PXE boot, bartsPE, etc) to boot your machines and image them. It is highly unlikely you will ever have multiple hardware failures at the same time in a house hold. So, this is really over kill, and for advanced users, or people that just like to do everything a certain way.

5) last and not the least and probably pretty important is software. Software to create these, copy the OS install back, and most import best practices for OS installation and data back up. Rules #1 is ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA. Caps and bold for emphasis, not yelling. There are tons of options to pay for applications to free and open source projects. Solutions which require servers and some leg work down to solutions that just take a simple piece of software with no configurations other than the simple steps it takes to use it. Some can be automated, so if you boot from a USB drive it will automatically start the imaging process on the machine.

lucasbytegenius

I am going to rewrite this guide a bit because of a serious bug in the program I mentioned. Turns out, it happens every time the wizard is run. It's the format error I mentioned. I am going to go into more detail about the advanced tab and how to avoid this bug. Please do not use the Windows section of the guide except for the small mention about the advanced tab. Sorry for my error :eek:

lucasbytegenius

I was asked by Mep to chime in. Here are a few suggestions, and perhaps some things to expand your guide upon.

1 - system updates are always a hassle. In the process of creating your image, or up-to-date OS installer, you need to slipstream your OS updates. This reduces the time you have to manually download and install them post installation. This can be accomplished by several ways. See examples:

Windows - Look at vlite and nlite, which allow you to build an OS install and slipstream all the updates into a nice image file. This speeds up installs and allows you to add Service packs, security patches, and hot fixes right into your OS installation.

OS X - there is an open source project from afp548.com called instaDMG. This is probably the sweetest thing since sliced bread. It is just simply a set of python scripts, that take your OS X installer DVD and creates an image file of it, then you run the instaup2date python script and it downloads all the Apple updates for that OS installation and then merges the images together and block copies them into one image file. That image file you can use for block copying over target disk mode boot, or burn to a dual layer DVD.

This is all 100% legal as long as you own legit copies of everything, and do not break any EULAs.

2) Applications - to add or not to add. One annoying thing is if you reinstall and you have 400 gigs of apps, well that is like half a day of swapping out disks and installing. Creating an image file of the apps installed in your OS may be beneficial.

3) install versus block copying. Whenever you can block copy over USB, Firewire, or Ehternet, it is a lot faster than the installer running. This is a more advanced set up, and is not really used that much outside enterprise environments.

4) Advanced usage - no one will really benefit from this that much because it requires leg work and some advanced knowledge. However, if you have say several PCs and Macs in your home, you may want to set up a base image, of the OS and any files and apps (which you own legally of course) for everything. Then use some sort of software (ghost, acronis, open source, netboot, PXE boot, bartsPE, etc) to boot your machines and image them. It is highly unlikely you will ever have multiple hardware failures at the same time in a house hold. So, this is really over kill, and for advanced users, or people that just like to do everything a certain way.

5) last and not the least and probably pretty important is software. Software to create these, copy the OS install back, and most import best practices for OS installation and data back up. Rules #1 is ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA. Caps and bold for emphasis, not yelling. There are tons of options to pay for applications to free and open source projects. Solutions which require servers and some leg work down to solutions that just take a simple piece of software with no configurations other than the simple steps it takes to use it. Some can be automated, so if you boot from a USB drive it will automatically start the imaging process on the machine.
Thanks, tlarkin, for your input. I will implement it. Yes, I understand about slipstreaming, and how to do it with the utility on the XP disk, though I will try your suggestions. And I know of some great utils for some of the stuff you mentioned as well. Thanks.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Thanks, tlarkin, for your input. I will implement it. Yes, I understand about slipstreaming, and how to do it with the utility on the XP disk, though I will try your suggestions. And I know of some great utils for the stuff you mentioned as well. Thanks.

They have utilities for Vista and Win7 as well to slipstream, and for OS X you just simply run a set of python scripts (from the instaDMG project, google it) with the disk in the drive and the rest is done for you.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ok, is it ok if I have you help a bit? Like a list of sites for the utils and articles on how to use them.

Look up nlite and vlite for windows, there are youtube tutorials. If you have a Mac the instaDMG thing is so super easy. Just follow the readme pdf that comes with it.

tremmor

Nice post. Tlarkin was always good for comments and suggestions. thanks again.
Thanks for both of you. though i never did do the slipstream. Interesting though. Been brought up many times.
thankyou...

lucasbytegenius

OK, looked up InstaDMG. Apparently they're asking for testers for PPC and Tiger, so we'll see how this goes.
I think I'll put this in an Advanced section of the guide because of its other uses. I'll refer to it in the simple section, though.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Well, aren't they phasing out PPC, so even if that doesn't work, that probably wouldn't make a huge difference. Although I understand why you would want to. And btw, thanks for the guide. I will try it next time I need to do a fresh install.

lucasbytegenius

Alright, I've got both Tiger and Leopard installed on my PowerMac G4, so one of them should work :D. I will probably finish the rewrite by this weekend or the next, we'll see how it goes.