Proxy server software

techcom

Hi,

Does anybody know what are the top proxy server software for a home network? CCproxy has been coming up a lot.

Thanks

beers

Staff member
Depends what you're trying to do.

I usually roll squid or tinyproxy on the Linux side.

techcom

I am trying to set up a home network for myself on a Windows based system. Currently this set up will be on my main computer but eventually I will use the proxy server software on a dedicated machine. I would be using the proxy server software for anonymous web surfing and for cache files for faster web page loads . It would be an advantage for the software to be able to use my internet security software which currently is Bullguard.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
You'd need more of a VPN provider for "anonymous surfing".

A local caching proxy should speed up static page objects slightly, however. Hosting it on the same PC you're using doesn't really net you much of a benefit though. Usually a caching proxy will be more beneficial for multiple LAN clients trying to access the same resources. On a single desktop your PC will cache that content already.

techcom

Would it be possible to set up a home VPN instead or would I need to go through a provider? I am trying to do this the most affordable possible way and be as independent as I possibly can trying to set up a VPN or proxy server. I heard there's software which can fake IP addresses? In today's modern world being anonymous and protecting ones privacy is a big must.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
You could do a home VPN if you wanted to connect back to home when you're somewhere else.

If you want to obfuscate your Internet traffic over a VPN you'd need an external provider.

techcom

In that case, in terms of the IP address which my ISP provide would you know how accurately could somebody pin point my exact location? I heard that they will be able to trace back to my local area but not to an exact address. I wonder...

beers

Staff member
Usually you'd need your ISP to be subpoenaed for them to give out your exact address, at least in 'murica. Not sure how that would apply in the UK. IP geolocation can often get you within a few miles but wouldn't give exact coordinates.

You can use something like http://infosniper.net to see what kind of data it puts out.

techcom

thanks beers you have helped me out a lot here. now i can make more of an informed choice. have a nice day!

techcom

just another thought something which I just came across can you tell me if there are any advantages of hosting a VPN or proxy server on a web service provider. would that work and would that be easy to set up? if I set up a proxy server on the web service provider can it possible to surf anonymously this way?

beers

Staff member
A proxy generally doesn't encrypt data, where a VPN will apply encryption.

Some of the terms can be interpreted as synonymous since you're effectively 'proxying your data via a VPN', but most of the time if you use the term proxy there isn't any encryption applied.

You can certainly roll your own VPN on a VPS provider or similar, although it's generally more of a pain in the rear unless you're really familiar with setting up things like Linux and OpenVPN in a secure fashion (using certificates, strong ciphers and similar).