PS/2 to USB

ok so I'm not sure if anyone can help me out with this but ill give it a shot anyway. I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS and I have lost the link cable between the stick and the throttle. it appears to be a simple 6pin PS/2 cable. Other people who have lost it say they just purchased one of these cables and it was fine. However in my area I am unable to locate one of those cables since they are old tech. I did however find PS/2 to USB adapters. I do believe the USB is only 4 wire though so I am not sure if this will work. anyone have any clues on this?

Darren

Staff member
What are you thinking here?

Throttle > PS2 Plug > USB Adapter > USB Cable > USB Adapter > PS2 Plug > Joystick

Looks like this is the cable.

61FtJrWuj1L._AC_UY218_.jpg

It... might work but I would personally kind of doubt it. You have no ability to order online? They're everywhere.

novicegeek

Back when I had a motherboard that had two PS/2 ports, I used a PS/2 to USB adapter for a mouse and keyboard. No problems, except the USB keyboard has some functions that were not available when using a PS/2 port. I would think it would work in your case, since it's the other way around. It won't hurt to try it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
ok so I'm not sure if anyone can help me out with this but ill give it a shot anyway. I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS and I have lost the link cable between the stick and the throttle. it appears to be a simple 6pin PS/2 cable. Other people who have lost it say they just purchased one of these cables and it was fine. However in my area I am unable to locate one of those cables since they are old tech. I did however find PS/2 to USB adapters. I do believe the USB is only 4 wire though so I am not sure if this will work. anyone have any clues on this?
Where are you located (i.e. Country)?

CP30126

You mean that it uses a mini-DIN cable. If the interface is AT, then a passive or active adapter may work. I personally have zero experience with these things. However, if the interface is not AT, then a passive adapter may work, if it provides just the right amount of necessary connections. Because, as you know, a mini-DIN connector provides 6 pins while an USB one provides 4.

Update: I found this with a quick search: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4zc6pr "The protocol the Saitek stick uses to communicate with the thottle is proprietary. It is unrelated to the protocols PS/2 mouses or keyboards use. Therefore these adapters won't do much." You can still try it, if the 4 pins provided by the USB adapter are enough. But we now know that the interface is not AT, if the guy is right of course.

Last edited: