Ps3 Trade In For Xbox 360

antwanftw

So I have had my Playstation 3 for about 3 years now. The first year and a half that I had it, I loved it. I originally switched from 360 TO ps3 before I got my first ps3. The only reason I switched was because I was tired of getting RROD. Annnnnyyywayyssss, I realized that games like Minecraft and Halo 4 were both coming out sort - of soon (Halo's got a wait) on the 360, and I know I would really enjoy playing those. I also miss the XBL community. This brings me to my question, how much trade in value do you guys think I would get for my 120gb ps3 slim at Gamestop? Also, do you think I should make the switch. (whether or not I trade in at GS)

NOTE: DON'T ANSWER THE SECOND QUESTION WITHOUT ANSWERING THE FIRST ONE

Pell

i would get an xbox 360 :D so much better in my opinion, only thing ps3 has over 360 is free online. but 360 has party chat etc. Minecraft, halo, gears of war. :) do it!

antwanftw

i would get an xbox 360 :D so much better in my opinion, only thing ps3 has over 360 is free online. but 360 has party chat etc. Minecraft, halo, gears of war. :) do it!

Of course I'm leaning towards the switch, but what do you think about trade in value, etc..

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have a friend that works at Gamestop, and she's a member of this forum. I'll point her to this thread.

antwanftw

I have a friend that works at Gamestop, and she's a member of this forum. I'll point her to this thread.

Sounds Great! I called them to get a ball - park estimate and the associate said that he couldn't legally give me an estimate without seeing the machine <_<

Seriously fanboyish comment, pell. I own a ps3 and would buy it over a 360 anyday but I will not bring my opinion into this.

360 pros: Cross game chat (talk to somebody else in a different game), great online (Xbox live), kinect.

360 cons: Old 360 had red ring of death, no wifi (both problems fixed with Xbox 360 Slim). Paid Online, no blu ray, kinect doesn't have to many games, especially triple a titles

PS3 pros: Blu ray drive, free online, better performance (more cores, better graphics, though most games don't actually look better on the ps3 even though they have the capability to),blu ray games more durable (trust me on this, I live in a very destructive family, all my wii disks are broken)

Ps3 cons: No cross game chat, not as good online, no kinect ( just play station move, similar to wii), ps move doesn't have very many games either, have to half install most games on hdd (doesn't mean you can play them without the disc)

They both have their fair share of first party titles.

pS3: Little big planet, gran turismo, kill zone, portal with steam (portal is on 360, but not steam enhanced)

360:Gears of war, halo, kinect, forza, minecraft for 360 (pc is better anyways)

There are many ps3 vs 360 on the net.

antwanftw

Seriously fanboyish comment, pell. I own a ps3 and would buy it over a 360 anyday but I will not bring my opinion into this.

360 pros: Cross game chat (talk to somebody else in a different game), great online (Xbox live), kinect.

360 cons: Old 360 had red ring of death, no wifi (both problems fixed with Xbox 360 Slim). Paid Online, no blu ray, kinect doesn't have to many games, especially triple a titles

PS3 pros: Blu ray drive, free online, better performance (more cores, better graphics, though most games don't actually look better on the ps3 even though they have the capability to),blu ray games more durable (trust me on this, I live in a very destructive family, all my wii disks are broken)

Ps3 cons: No cross game chat, not as good online, no kinect ( just play station move, similar to wii), ps move doesn't have very many games either, have to half install most games on hdd (doesn't mean you can play them without the disc)

They both have their fair share of first party titles.

pS3: Little big planet, gran turismo, kill zone, portal with steam (portal is on 360, but not steam enhanced)

360:Gears of war, halo, kinect, forza, minecraft for 360 (pc is better anyways)

There are many ps3 vs 360 on the net.

Again, this post's question was more focused towards if anyone knew the trade in value at gamestop, along with their recommendation on whether or not I should.

Oh, sorry. I have traded in quite a few things at GameStop, I would say 40 percent of the price GameStop sells it for.

antwanftw

I would say sell it, save up, get a gaming pc. Youll be much, much happier.

Thanks for everyones help, but ONCE AGAIN, if you don't have any input on trade in value or the likes of, the value of your opinion whether or not I should make the switch won't be very high..

tech savvy

Thanks for everyones help, but ONCE AGAIN, if you don't have any input on trade in value or the likes of, the value of your opinion whether or not I should make the switch won't be very high..

How bout you take urself down to gamestop and find out? We can not give you any conclusive answer to ur question, it depends on model, condition, and/or accessories.

JlCollins005

I personally can not say how much they would give you but I am willing to bet probably around the 100 dollar range maybe less maybe more depending on games, accessories and such. IMO I would sell it on craigslist or ebay you will probably net more doing that than going to gamestop.

claptonman

How bout you take urself down to gamestop and find out? We can not give you any conclusive answer to ur question, it depends on model, condition, and/or accessories.

Right there. No problem just getting a price quote.

And you would most definitely get more trying to sell it on craigslist or somewhere else than gamestop.

Hyper_Kagome

I can't actually give you a trade in price for the 160gb slim PS3 mainly because it will most likely differ from what you'd get at Gamestop USA as opposed to my EB Canada. The fact the employee told you that they can't give you the value over the phone is utter bull, there is no legal binding that I know of that would stop the value from being released. That's just to get you to take it INTO the store, since that pretty much finishes half of the deal of actually trading it in.

If you have multiple Gamestops in your city I would try calling a different one up for a value. All trade ins would need to include all standard hook ups and one controller for it to be complete. Addition controllers are additional trade value (and traded in separate from the console trade.) Games will have their own value based on supply and demand. I would check your Gamestop USA website for any current running promotions (such as extra trade values, inflated values, or any current running promotions on trading in systems toward other systems.)
I would tell you my current promotions, but again Gamestop Canada and Gamestop USA both run different promotions at different times.

Gamestop USA Promotions.
Looks like you currently get an extra 30% trade value when you trade in your system and an extra 10%, 20% or 30% on your games when you trade in a x-amount. (3,5, and 7 it looks like, where as here it's 4, 6, and 8)
Would likely have to do two transactions since it states that the promotion can't be stacked with any other on top of the 30% on the system.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

antwanftw

I just didn't want to waste my time going to Gamestop only to get ripped off more then I expect. I went down today and they gave me $180 for the 120gb console, Modern Warfare, MW2, MW3, and Skyrim. I then only needed to spend $70 extra for the difference of the Xbox price, tax, and XBL Gold Membership. If I had sold it on craigslist, I would have spent $70+ on extra games that I would have gotten with the extra money for the Ps3 sale anyways. thanks for everyones help

ICMB

not worth it imo free online play. only reason to get a xbox 360 would be premium content and people play minecraft on a pc not a console o_O..

in the end just sell it and get a pc

Hyper_Kagome

not worth it imo free online play. only reason to get a xbox 360 would be premium content and people play minecraft on a pc not a console o_O..

in the end just sell it and get a pc

Minecraft is being released to the 360 via Xbox Marketplace.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I done the opposite and traded in my 360 Pro 60GB for PS3 Slim 160Gb and its the best trade i have ever done.
Microsoft with their subscription crap killed it for me on the 360,You need to pay Microsoft a Live subscription to use free services such as YouTube,Netflix,Iplayer,Which is bad imo as you already pay for your internet connection,so why should we pay Microsoft to use free services on our own consoles?

I say stick with the PS3,If your really bored of the PS3 then sell it and buy a mid range gaming PC which will be better than both.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Oh, sorry. I have traded in quite a few things at GameStop, I would say 40 percent of the price GameStop sells it for.

For a unit that's about 3 years old, I would guess that since a new one is now $250 with a bigger hard drive that you would get at least $50, maybe up to $100. If you call your local store, they've got a specific price spreadsheet that they can tell exactly how much it would be.

As for the switch, I went from XBox to PS3 a couple of years ago and haven't looked back...

I should mention that they usually will give you more money if you are getting the trade in value for store credit rather than straight cash. Might get up to that $100 that way.

Last edited: