PS3 vs 360 as of JAN 2009

Archangel

VIP Member
right. well, since this whole exclusive game being overhyped is very subjective, shouldnt we compare the 2 consoles base on their hardware themselves, if that's possible? for the sake of this argument (ps3 vs 360), that is.

no, we should compare the consoles on what they are used for.. the games.
but you cant compare games that arnt released yet. thats my point.

I mean, if anyone buys a console because the processor is better, that person is plain and simple stupid for example. (he/she should stick to pc's then ;) )

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have had a 360 for over two years now, never had a single problem with it. MS extended the warranty for the ones that had the issue and gladly replaced them. You can't talk smack about that at all, and you have to respect the fact they are at least taking care of their customers. That point is pretty much moot at this point in time. If you had the red ring of death, MS sent you a new one even if you were out of warranty. They are taking care of their customers. That is a customer service, not to be confused with the actual product.

Next you have the Wii, and while the Wii lacks in certain areas compared to the PS3 and the 360, it does have a few games which are absolute gems. I have a Wii and think around 75% of the games are crap, or just things that I am not into. I can't say all of them are crap because I am sure that some games that I am not into may be totally awesome for other people. However, with that being said, Mario kart, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Galaxy are all super bad ass games. They are developed superbly and done very well. Not all developers can match the skills of the ones that Nintendo puts out. The SDK from Nintendo is around $1,200 USD so there are lots and lots of small time companies developing games out there. The Wii also hits a market that may not apply to most people on this forum, the casual gamer. The casual gamer wants games they can pick up and put down at will not have to invest time in. They don't care about playing 80 hours of game play in a RPG, or playing 12 hours into a FPS or spending a month beating a RTS. Wii does all of that, and some of the games really innovate, while others just plain suck. The price range of games and console is way cheaper. I like my Wii and while there are a lot of games that aren't that great the ones I do like are great beyond measure.

Then you have the PS3, which has the least amount of titles, and the least amount of exclusives and has potentially the best hardware in it. Well, I don't have a HD TV. I know, I know, so many people always ask me why out of everyone I know, don't YOU have a HD TV? The answer is simple, I don't watch TV nor do I want to pay for cable, therefore I have no need to buy a HD TV. So having all that extra hardware in the Sony PS3 doesn't do anything for me. There are actually lots of people like me that don't watch TV. A good portion of my friends don't have cable, and some of them have every channel in retrospect. So all these extra features and HD content doesn't really apply to me, while I also think it doesn't apply to the masses either. At least not just yet. I think HD needs a few more years before it becomes the actual standard. My little brother has every gaming system, and he is the store manager of a gamestop so he gets all kinds of freebies and goodies from the vendors. I have played his PS3 and while yeah it is great, but I don't think it actually out performs the 360 in real world performance. I think it has the potential to, but it doesn't. I think that Sony should have not gone that route and not done the whole bluray and cell processor thing just yet. Sony wanted to replace your whole entertainment center with one device. Well, it falls short on so many levels of doing that and that is where it ultimately fails. People aren't going to give up their receivers, CD changers, turn tables, DVD players, and so forth for a PS3. They are going to just add the PS3 to their existing home entertainment systems. I think if sony chunked out some of that hardware (there is no need for blu ray what so ever) and made it cheaper then it may appeal to more masses. Their SDK is also ungodly expensive and from what I have read one of the harder ones to use. So it cost developers the most money and time to develop a PS3 game. Their market share is the lowest of the three consoles as far as units actually sold. I think i read that the SDK for the PS3 is somewhere in the $25,000 range, and depending on how licensing works, developers may have to buy multiple SDKs.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I own a 360, and I have a friend who has both the 360 and PS3. We both agree that the PS3 is better. Now since you like sports games, pretty much the same games are going to be available for both. That said, the graphics for the PS3 ARE better no two ways about it. Plus, 3-4 years down the road the difference in graphical power will really begin to show when the developers will have reached the limit of the 360 and the PS3 will still have room to grow.

Other good exclusive PS3 games (since the 360 one's have already been listed...)
Warhawk
Left 4 Dead (not just exclusive to the 360)
Little Big Planet <- Best Game Ever
Metal Gear Solid 4
MLB series
Gran Turismo series
and others

Not to mention one of the better blu-ray players out there for MUCH cheaper than the others. Plus, if you want to get a bigger hard drive you just buy a standard 2.5" SATA drive and swap them out. Furthermore, I prefer the PS3's customizable user interface to the XBox's green attempt to be the Wii's interface...

Plus, number 1 pet peeve of mine against the 360: no wifi, factor in the ridiculous $100 price for the adapter, and you're at the same price of the PS3, where the PS3 has it plus a web browser built-in.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
To be fair though any ethernet to wireless bridge will work with the 360, you don't have to buy their adapter. I also disagree on it being better graphically (the PS3 that is) 1080p is 1080p regardless, and they both run 1080p. I agree that down the road the PS3 will outshine everyone else, but by then the new Xbox will be out which will be better than the PS3.

Last edited:

bm23

I agree that down the road the PS3 will outshine everyone else, but by then the new Xbox will be out which will be better than the PS3.

the same thing was said about quad core and duo core. people said that by the time quad core is utilised, a new kind of processor would be released that would make quad core obsolete.

anil099

So i went ahead and did it

bought the 80 gb ps3 for $399 and wal mart gave me a $50 gift card as part of a deal they had going on so one game was free basically

these are the games i bought

NBA 2k9
NCAA 2009
Burnout Paradise City

I plan on getting GTA 4 in a week or two

if anyone plays those games here we can play online and stuff

ill let u guys know my first impressions

DMGrier

VIP Member
It's good you bought the PS3, When games really start to utilize blue ray technology (what the disc can hold) the PS3 will come out on top. I'm sure there will be a new xbox to come out when that time comes but like all things Microsoft makes you will have to wait a while before its bug free and reliable.

throne

Technically the PS3 is the better buy this late in the game. I would have said xbox a year or 2 ago hands down, but xbox is on a 4-6 year new console schedule while PS3 is on a 6-8 year. meaning since the ps3 came out 2 years after the 360, a new xbox will come out soon, which will be better tahn the PS3, and it will be another 4 years before Sony comes out with anything similar.

At this time the graphical differences are barely noticable side by side. If you are into sports games PS3 is fine cuz ur not getting anything different from an xbox. Xbox live is better hands down BECAUSE you pay for it. 360 has better games at this time, and by the time programers really start taking advantage of the PS3 there will be a new product from Microsoft on the horizon. and the PS3 had major issues with it as well when it first came out. Less, but I do recall hearing the news about some actually catching fire which the xbox never did.

JTM

Technically the PS3 is the better buy this late in the game. I would have said xbox a year or 2 ago hands down, but xbox is on a 4-6 year new console schedule while PS3 is on a 6-8 year. meaning since the ps3 came out 2 years after the 360, a new xbox will come out soon, which will be better tahn the PS3, and it will be another 4 years before Sony comes out with anything similar.

At this time the graphical differences are barely noticable side by side. If you are into sports games PS3 is fine cuz ur not getting anything different from an xbox. Xbox live is better hands down BECAUSE you pay for it. 360 has better games at this time, and by the time programers really start taking advantage of the PS3 there will be a new product from Microsoft on the horizon. and the PS3 had major issues with it as well when it first came out. Less, but I do recall hearing the news about some actually catching fire which the xbox never did.

Both Microsoft and Sony have agreed that this generation will run longer than previously announced. I read it on Joystiq a while back.

g4m3rof1337

It's personal preference really, since they both offer different genres of games, the PS3 is more sports/racing orientated, while the 360 is more FPS friendly. The PS3 has some FPS games, and the 360 has some sports/racing games, but they're not the consoles specialty. I for one, bought an Xbox for Halo, and have gotten into other games as well.

throne

Both Microsoft and Sony have agreed that this generation will run longer than previously announced. I read it on Joystiq a while back.

Pretty recently i read something along those lines as well. but if u look at past cycles a 4-6 year for microsoft and 6-8 year, leaning more towards 8 years, for sony is a longer than usual cycle.

bm23

Pretty recently i read something along those lines as well. but if u look at past cycles a 4-6 year for microsoft and 6-8 year, leaning more towards 8 years, for sony is a longer than usual cycle.

that's good news. i dont wana buy a new console anytime soon. spent a fortune on the ps3.

Justin

VIP Member
I'd get the PS3. Xbox Live so they say is filled with annoying noob kids but on PSN you get the adult jerks so pick your poison.

You said you wanted it for sports games, any console will do since 2k Sports and EA Sports games are on both platforms.

FPS, well that depends on what you want to play. Halo or Killzone? Up to you dude.

Racing, I'd get the PS3 just because of GT5P.

XanderCage

I have a PS3 and i have to say i absolutely love it. It has plenty of shooters, uncharted, cod4, cod:waw, resistance 1, resistance 2, killzone 2 is coming out, bioshock, fear, etc....

Also has some nice features, free online is a good one, and don't believe the people that tell you that psn lags and all that bs. They are ignorant, and while there is room for improvement, it's come a long way. Also, it's a BluRay player, it's got wifi out of the box, and the option to upgrade HDD without having to pay 100 dollars is always good to have. Oh and you can confidently buy one without having to worry about it breaking. Bought mine back in Nov of 06 and still have it working like new.

tlarkin

VIP Member
maybe it is just me but I prefer shooters on my PC. I like consoles for the platformers and racing games and sports games, they run better on consoles.