PSU Blew up, couple of questions for your guys.

SuperDuperMe

Hey guys, basically my psu blew up earlier. Loud bang, hint of singed metal in the air.

Anyway, question 1, will it have damaged anything else (is it likely?) I checked my mobo and couldnt see any noticeable damage. Obviously i know that dfamage might not be noticeable.

Question 2, judging by my sig whats the cheapest psu i can buy to get it up and running with some headway so it doesnt blow up again.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
It is entirely possible that the PSU damaged your motherboard or other components, particularly if there were some sort of power transient that caused the initial damage to begin with.

G80FTW

Hey guys, basically my psu blew up earlier. Loud bang, hint of singed metal in the air.

I think you need to describe this in more detail...... loud bang? It exploded? Take it apart and take pictures I am dying to see what exploded.

Also, dont fear just yet about damage. PSUs these days have tons of safety sensors/circuits made specifically to prevent damage to components upon failure. Not saying its not possible, but it wouldnt be the first conclusion I would jump to.

EDIT: I would also recommend buying a cheap maybe 400W (more if you can afford it) power supply to use as a test power supply to test the barebones of your system if something like this happens again to troubleshoot. I have a few spare power supplies for this purpose.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
So your Corsair HX 620 died then? It's possible the motherboard and graphics card may be dead, but if you can get something like a Corsair CX 500 or an OCZ ZS 550 or an Antec Neo 520W or something like that you can test your system.

SuperDuperMe

Ok so it was a loudish bang. Bit louder than a light bulb blowing. Im nto taking it apart as i really dont feel like frying myself. The corsair is now in the bin its ****ed :p

In terms of hardware failure like i said in my first post i didnt see any damage but obviously im aware that it may still be, but whats the likleyhood?

I cant afford a turdy 400 watts to have to go out and buy a 550 watts. So i basically need the cheapest (safest) psu for my rig. Its killing me having it down lol.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it were the Corsair PSU that blown i doubt it would have taken anything else with it, as like mentioned most quality PSUs have alot of Safety features that prevent such a thing ,But of course until you get another PSU to try you wont know.

Have you checked to see if your Corsair had any warrenty left?

I got this recently,very good PSU for the price.

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-600w-builder-series-cx-v2-atx-psu-7JSQ.html?src=2

Although its not Modular.

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

The psu didnt have any warranty as far as im aware. It was bought used alredy in the pc as i bought that used :p

I was looking at the cx600. But wanted to go cheaper tbh. Then again i dont want to skip on quality as if im sinking this money into a psu i want it to last.

Is that the cheapest option out there whilst being safe or do any other major brands offer a similar but cheaper item?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a look and to be honest anything lower that £49...i wouldnt go there.

If you want lower priced its Either lower Watts from a brand make such as OCZ,Corsair,XFX etc...or brands like CIT,XENTA,X-POWER,ACE etc...i wouldnt touch them.

I think your best bet is the CX600.

SuperDuperMe

Yeh i think thats my best option. Will it be powerful enough for future upgrades?

(Thinking of a gtx 580 and i5 something - what ever is cheap and chearful when i stop being broke).

SuperDuperMe

Awesome, well my pc is going to be down for a while until i can get the money together FML!. Anyone know how much an e6600 usually goes for used? I have one lying about and need all the money i can get :p