PSU Cable Fried

marcusdunn

So my computer PSU cable obviously overheated. Oddly enough though this happen while the computer was asleep. There was no smoke or sparks that I could see or smell. It must of happened when I wasn't home. I changed out the cables and the computer is still running. Just want to know if anyone had an idea as to how this happened before I keep it plugged up again.

Here are some photos.

I noticed the plug won't seat correctly in the outlet anymore.

20140311_143823_zpslmuxabpu.jpg

The PSU prongs, one is burnt. But is still working with other cables.

20140311_143614_zpsuglimcd_edit_1394568862311_zpsh3hqgkel.jpg

20140311_143644_zpslugcbiz0.jpg

20140311_143603_zpslbw7awlu.jpg

Cable is obviously done.
20140311_143730_zpshigtnvrg.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to have the cord fully plugged in or you will risk damaging the power supply/motherboard, or other components. What brand and model of power supply do you have?

marcusdunn

You need to have the cord fully plugged in or you will risk damaging the power supply/motherboard, or other components. What brand and model of power supply do you have?

It was seated correctly before but now that something happened they won't seat all the way in the outlet. The power supply is a extreme gear 800w psu.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So if you have a new power cord then the power socket is shot inside. Are you using a new power cord?

Okedokey

Thats the earth lug right? That means you have current running to earth, this is a sign of a short circuit. Replace the PSU.

Okedokey

If its working then good, but usually these things don't happen without something else being wrong.

Dean11

Dont plug it back in. This can potentially start a fire, so replace the PSU. This is what happens when there is too much current for the wire to handle and it overheats, a short somewhere as okey said or bad connection. Make sure you get a good quality psu from a known brand.

Last edited:

marcusdunn

Well I did have a space heater pluuged up, but they have been running together all winter. I was thinking maybe my girlfriend knocked the cable out like in the picture and that caused the short. But I'll get a new power supply anyway.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Running a space heater is bad on the same circuit/outlet as your pc. Those heaters pull a lot of juice and can burn wiring easily.