PSU check

Deadpool

I need a new PSU for my setup and there is a problem with a 500W unit. Is it good enough to get a 430W EVGA? It's the standard 80+ one.

Athlon x4 845+Sapphire Nitro Radeon R7 370.

pcpartpicker says it's ok but those guys are jerks :p

_Glitch

Is it really 80+ standard? Didn't know quality brands made those anymore.
Can you link us to it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I need a new PSU for my setup and there is a problem with a 500W unit.

What do you mean by this?

Why are you getting a 430 watt psu? That really limits you on what card you can get. The 370 minimum requirement is 450 watts anyway. Get either the evga 500 or corsair cx500 or even 600 watts for a few dollars more. Then you'll have plenty of room for upgraded card later.

mistersprinkles

80+ white (which is what that PSU is) is really pretty garbage, and that PSU is pretty garbage. Not saying it will explode but for an extra 20 bucks you can get a Superflower HX golden green. And for about that price you can also get a Seasonic SSR-G "aka G series" 550W.

You're better off getting a 550-650W psu so you have more options for more powerful hardware and carrying it over to a new build later.

Deadpool

What do you mean by this?

Why are you getting a 430 watt psu? That really limits you on what card you can get. The 370 minimum requirement is 450 watts anyway. Get either the evga 500 or corsair cx500 or even 600 watts for a few dollars more. Then you'll have plenty of room for upgraded card later.

Damn you are right. Could've gotten a 550W EVGA for $5 more... What a moron. I already ordered it and it's on its way. I guess I can't cancel now. Although I'm almost certain I won't upgrade that rig for a long time. It's already old as hell...

Intel_man

VIP Member
Damn you are right. Could've gotten a 550W EVGA for $5 more... What a moron. I already ordered it and it's on its way. I guess I can't cancel now. Although I'm almost certain I won't upgrade that rig for a long time. It's already old as hell...
Did you buy it off evga's website? They have a step up program but I'm not sure if their psu fits in that offer.

Deadpool

Did you buy it off evga's website? They have a step up program but I'm not sure if their psu fits in that offer.

Bought on Amazon from EVGA. Returns are via Amazon and cancellation is not guaranteed when item already shipped. It's a shame but at least the rig will work on that PSU.

The real issue here is that if cancellation doesn't go through, and I order another unit, I'm returning to Argentina on Thursday, and I'll end up with two PSUs...

Deadpool

Well Amazon approved my return request and were willing to waive off the 1-day delivery charge in order to get the unit to me by tomorrow. The return will cost me $10 but it's still awesome. Thank for the help dudes.

ramirez

Even better. The guys refunded the whole cost now. Don't even have to pay return shipping. Those guys are effective.

Cool beans....Amazon is really good about taking care of their customers. Don't think I have had a bad experience yet with them....knock on wood.

Deadpool

Cool beans....Amazon is really good about taking care of their customers. Don't think I have had a bad experience yet with them....knock on wood.

Yeah. By far the best customer service I've seen. My standards are pretty low but I didn't expect them to be so useful and helpful. It's a shame they don't ship to Argentina too easily...