PSU compatibility

Billson

So I have this old PC("A" for organization purposes) and a newer one(B). I want to put B's components in A's case because I have a GT630 that doesnt fit in B's case. A's PSU is bigger, so naturally I want to use that one, because the other one cant be screwed into A's case. The problem is, I plug everything, it doesnt boot. Then I remove B's PSU and put it in the case(Its loose because its not screwed) and boots perfectly. The difference between them is yhe 12-pin connector. A's has the regular 12-pin, and B's has the 10-pin +2 pins not attached. Can that be causing the problem? I wish I could upload pictures, but the limit is 1mb. If you can tell me how to upload bigger files it woild make this easyer. Thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no difference, some psu's can be broken down into a 20 pin for older style motherboards. Most likely the A psu is bad.

Billson

I dont think the psu is bad. I was using it a month ago, before I got the new PC. I guess I can try it on A PC. It has no hard drive tho. It should boot anyways right? You are saying there are no compatibility issues?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are these OEM systems meaning store bought or are these custom built machines. If OEM, its possible that a certain psu is pinned differently then what you are trying to use.

Billson

Are these OEM systems meaning store bought or are these custom built machines. If OEM, its possible that a certain psu is pinned differently then what you are trying to use.
A is a Dell Studio 540, I added a GT630. B is an Acer Aspire X3470.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It very well could be a pinout issue. Compare the color of wires in each connector for each pin, if they are different then thats probably the issue.

Billson

It very well could be a pinout issue. Compare the color of wires in each connector for each pin, if they are different then thats probably the issue.
I did that yesterday, and they are exactly the same. I will test it with As components and tell you what happens.

Billson

So guys. Both 24-pin connectors had the same colours, but in fact, the 4-pin connectors were different. As were black and brown and Bs were black and yellow, so I guess thats the problem. What I did was putting the GT on As components in As case with As PSU, so now everything works like a peach (it all worked out bcs A had an Intel Core 2quad Q8200 and B had an AMD E2-3200, wich is supposed to be worse). So thank you all dor the help!