PSU failing???

craneop1985

I just recently upgraded my GPU to a 7850 from a 9600 GSO-now I have noticed some artifacting when just web-browsing. I read somewhere that it could be caused the the PSU. I checked the 12v reading in the bios and it said 12.1, but when running PC wizard and Speedfan they both said it was 12.8-12.74. I don't want to burn up the system--the PSU I have is this one-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017 Sig is up to date on what's in the system---Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
600W should be enough for that card.

Did you uninstall the old drivers and uninstall the latest ones?

Check this. Also I'm sure you did, but make sure you installed the latest drivers from AMD's website, as the drivers on the disc are old and out of date.

craneop1985

Forgot to mention that when I upgraded the video is also when I installed the SSD-did a clean install of windows and installed AMD 13.1 drivers for the video. I am concerned about the voltage---most of the places I've looked said the 12v shouldn't be over 12.6--where mine says 12.8.

Okedokey

Wow really? Strangel and Voy?

The voltage in the bios is going out of ATX spec and you wonder why it fails when gaming? 12.74V is out of spec.

The PSU is garbage and is causing the issue. Classic Vdroop.

craneop1985

just checking voltages again--bios still says 12.17 at startup---but then both speedfan and pcwizard says 12v is up to 12.86---should I stop using this power supply or what's the worst that can happen---blow up everything???-or am I getting paranoid??

craneop1985

I had a generic PSU tester-Power Judge-tested it--said don't use anymore---would I be able to use something in the 500-550 W range or should I stick with a 600 W PSU?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Wow really? Strangel and Voy?

The voltage in the bios is going out of ATX spec and you wonder why it fails when gaming? 12.74V is out of spec.

The voltage in the bios was 12.1V. Just because programs are reading it at 12.7/8V, I wouldnt jump to conclusions and say the PSU in junk. Needs to be tested under load.