PSU for ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard

I ordered a Corsair PSU for this MB only to find the power connector for the CPU was not compatible. Looking around, I see ASUS recommends an ATX 12V Specification 2.0-compliant PSU. What is 2.0-compliant? I see the one I ordered was a 2.3. Newegg only offers 2.2's and 2.3's. Are these 2.0-compliant PSU's still being sold? The MB is from 2010. Is this MB compatible w/ WIN 10?

Last edited:
The one I ordered is a Corsair CX430M 430W R. Is that what you wanted to know? I'm guessing that the 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 are "versions?" The connector on the MB has four holes, not 6 or 8.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
It should be fine. I don't know what exactly the 2.0 or 2.3 indicates, probably some newer standard but it's 24pin ATX connector and everything else should be a normal connection.

Should be fine with Windows 10. Somebody else can probably clarify better. I'd guess that 2.3 is backwards compatible with 2.0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That would be for the video card. There is an 8 pin connector that breaks apart. I use that psu all the time.

Laquer Head

Martin, exactly what John said.. the 8 pin comes apart and you can plug that 4 pin into the CPU port on that board!!!!

You are both right about the GPU connector. I found the CPU connector but there is a capacitor or something on the board blocking the 8 pin plug. It doesn't separate into 2 pieces. I'll have to find a 4 pin or 4 and 2 pin plug. Sorry, it DOES come apart. Now I can connect. Thank you for your help!

mistersprinkles

For future reference, when you have an 8-pin EPS out on a PSU and you can only use a 4 pin EPS out for your motherboard for whatever reason, they do sell 8>dual 4 adapters and they are very cheap. Whatever cabling issue you have, there's always an adaptor for it, usually on Newegg, such as a USB 3 to USB 2 header converter, or a 3 pin fan to 4 pin molex adapter, etc.

Laquer Head

For future reference, when you have an 8-pin EPS out on a PSU and you can only use a 4 pin EPS out for your motherboard for whatever reason, they do sell 8>dual 4 adapters and they are very cheap. Whatever cabling issue you have, there's always an adaptor for it, usually on Newegg, such as a USB 3 to USB 2 header converter, or a 3 pin fan to 4 pin molex adapter, etc.

Or you just break the 8 apart and not spend any money on an adapter....LOL

Darren

Staff member

While you're not wrong most PSU's have plugs that split like previously mentioned.

4-or-8-pin-jpg.7096

beers

Staff member
Or you just break the 8 apart and not spend any money on an adapter....LOL

Word. Most boards even have enough clearance around this connector where you could even just skew it in the socket since the pinout and key matches up.