Psu Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC eye

banned
It's a large enough supply but not a good brand by any means. When you see a 500w supply that cheap you know the quality is the same. A good Antec TP II 480w or 550w even supply will work well and be a nice reliable psu to put in your case.

Wuggy

Hey thanks I looked up the Antec TP II 480w I think im going with that, Thanks again, Cheers

SirKenin

banned
I wouldn't have listened to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about (we've seen this on more than one occasion). There is nothing wrong with that brand. It has a lifetime warranty, plenty of current on the 12v rail, is very quiet, big fan and the price with rebate is definitely right. You should have bought it.

A quick search on reviews reveals many satisfied customers.

PC eye

banned
I wouldn't have listened to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about (we've seen this on more than one occasion). There is nothing wrong with that brand. It has a lifetime warranty, plenty of current on the 12v rail, is very quiet, big fan and the price with rebate is definitely right. You should have bought it.

A quick search on reviews reveals many satisfied customers.

I suppose you would also recommend a Broadway 600w model seen for $29.99 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817162016

For the next build here I will probably looking at the Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001

SirKenin

banned
No, but that isn't the point (it's a red herring, nothing more). The one he picked out was fine. You cost him $60 more than he needed to spend and steered him away from a decent decision for no reason other than you didn't know what you were doing. I agree that Antec is a great PSU, but the one he picked out was very decent and a very good price after rebate (if he ever got the rebate).

I completely disagree with what you did.

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
Guys I havent ordered it yet lol, Theres just so many to pick from.

Phew. I'm relieved to hear that. Go with your original choice. It's a hell of a deal. I don't have an Antec. I have a brand that noone has ever heard of before that cost me $200. Without knowing, people might try and tell me it's junk because it isn't an Antec or an Enermax or something, but it's awesome. I love it. Too bad the company doesn't make them anymore.

PC eye

banned
Phew. I'm relieved to hear that. Go with your original choice. It's a hell of a deal. I don't have an Antec. I have a brand that noone has ever heard of before that cost me $200. Without knowing, people might try and tell me it's junk because it isn't an Antec or an Enermax or something, but it's awesome. I love it. Too bad the company doesn't make them anymore.

And where did you ever hear me say that Antec was the only brand? :rolleyes: I simply don't go by the reviews but actual experience. The point I was trying to make was the low price. There was no mention at that time of any rebate. When you go to newegg later that's when you see that item. And you will also note that everything sold there(crap or otherwise) has a review.

34erd

That PSU will run fine, there are better ones but obviously they cost more. If you've got the cash I would invest in a better one.

Filip

PC eye, I get your point about buying a cheap PSU with lots of wattage, but Ultra is a good brand, that's a decent PSU that will do the job, no need to buy something more expensive.

Get the Ultra PSU.

PC eye

banned
I never specified that brand was no good. The thing I was initially looking at was the low price until reviewing the rebate automatically applied. Generally any decent brand psu is seen at a higher price with a mail in rebate not simply listed at a low price like seen there. The most important thing is to find a good stable supply and not just looking at how many amps are on the 12v rails.

PC eye

banned
I never specified that brand was no good. The thing I was initially looking at was the low price until reviewing the rebate automatically applied. Generally any decent brand psu is seen at a higher price with a mail in rebate not simply listed at a low price like seen there. The most important thing is to find a good stable supply and not just looking at how many amps are on the 12v rails.

I see you either have a very selective memory or you are hoping that we do.

Apparently you are the only one with a "selective memory" around here.

PC eye

banned
PC eye, I get your point about buying a cheap PSU with lots of wattage, but Ultra is a good brand, that's a decent PSU that will do the job, no need to buy something more expensive.

Get the Ultra PSU.

If you know it's a good brand then recommend it there. :) It seems that someone else can't follow the conversation and understand the point about not getting stuck with a cheapo supply. :p

SirKenin

banned
If you know it's a good brand then recommend it there. :) It seems that someone else can't follow the conversation and understand the point about not getting stuck with a cheapo supply. :p

I follow the conversation where I tell him it is decent and not junk, not to listen to you when you don't know what you're talking about, seeing you trying to get him to spend $60 more than he has to and telling him that a good brand is no good, then you quote your own post, proving yourself wrong... Yes, I certainly follow the conversation.. You stuck your foot in your mouth. I follow that.

Dude, let it go. I don't think you understand PSUs. It's all good. No worries. Not every PSU has to be $100 to be good. You have to consider the whole picture, and you clearly didn't. Let it go. :)

PC eye

banned
That PSU will run fine, there are better ones but obviously they cost more. If you've got the cash I would invest in a better one.

Best post on the thread so far. :D I just grabbed a deal on the TP II 550w at $80 when it usually goes for sothing like $129 to have onhand for either the FX60 added along with a SATA array or the next build. :)

ceewi1

VIP Member
Im wondering if you could tell me if this psu will run a 6600gt and then later on a 7600gt or a 7900gt, It comes with 1x PCI Express and I think the 6600gt doesnt need it only the 76 and 79, Any help would be great http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273332&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

The 7900GT requires the PCI-E power connection, the 7600 and 6600 don't. It would be adequate for your system, but i've never considered Ultra to be a particularly high quality PSU maker. Something like the XClio 450BL is better at a similar price. Take a look at PSU101 for some great recommendations.

PC eye

banned
The question now will be on having a supply that is SLI ready. That model at the link there doesn't support it. If you are not planning an SLI setup sometime there's enough power to run the present system.

Status
Not open for further replies.