PSU ON&OFF Switch

DSM1999

hey guys i know this might sound stupid but do you guys turn the PSU off when ever u shutdown the pc?

a123

what happens when the battery on the mobo dies? lol... just curious... it has never happened to me before

Machine7587

the battery is what keeps your time and your CMOS settings. If it dies, they reset. Newer boards may writhe to ROM and save settings. I only know a few that do that, but the battery still needs to keep your clock going.

Greggie Boy

If I'm going to be away for awile and there any possibility of electrical storms, power interruptionss, I shut the switch off as an extra precaution but otherwise NO.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
a123 said:
what happens when the battery on the mobo dies? lol... just curious... it has never happened to me before
Most PCs will not boot properly if the CMOS battery quits. You'll get a message saying the battery's dead, your clock needs to be reset, or your hard drives are not configured properly. All changes you'd made to your BIOS will also be lost and will revert to default values...not necessarily the ones that make your PC run at its best.
Tom

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
Well the CMOS battery is replaceable, it is just a watch battery. Go to any store like Home Depot, Office Depot, and/or any other store that sells those types of batteries and find the right model number, and replace it. Your settings will be lost, but at least it will work