PSU problem

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by Solinek, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Solinek

Solinek New Member

Hello so my last PSU broke whe we came back from vaccation so I bought a new one but when I start game my monitor drivers crash (monitor looses signal but pc still runs) my old PSU was 400w new one is 450w. Could new PSU be the problem?

Old PSU: https://ibb.co/Tw7JJ9w
    New PSU: https://ibb.co/RbD78B0

2. _Kyle_

_Kyle_ Active Member

Well, how did the PSU break? Was it a surge? If so, then other components could be messed up.

Darren likes this.
  3. Solinek

Solinek New Member

Yeah it was even tho PC was unplugged whole time. How can i find out if anything else is damaged?

Update: It happens even while I'm doing some casual stuf like watching Netflix.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

You're saying the computer received a power surge even though it wasn't plugged in? You're also saying that after replacing the power supply that the problem continued?

5. Solinek

Solinek New Member

I unplugged PC when we were leaving and when we came back I plugged it back pressed power button then sparks came out of PSU and I couldn't turn PC on anymore. I bought new PSU and then monitor problem started.

6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like the sparks may have taken something out with it besides the psu. Try a different video card.

7. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

If you saw sparks there's a very good chance it was more than just the PSU that got fried.

8. Solinek

Solinek New Member

I don't have any.. but I could use radeon graphics from CPU.

9. johnb35

Well that is most likely what you are using now. To rule out a bad video card, would need to try using a different card.

10. Solinek

Solinek New Member

11. johnb35

The 1050 will work just fine in that motherboard.

12. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

You absolutely need to diagnose what the issue is before you just start throwing money at it. Don't buy a GPU on speculation alone.

13. Solinek

Solinek New Member

How can i diagnose?

14. johnb35

The only way to diagnose is to replace the parts that it could be that are cheap. If you can borrow a cheap video card from someone you can do it that way. Or if you don't feel like messing with it, you can always have a pc repair place diagnose it for you, with a nominal fee of course.