PSU Turns 9!

Laquer Head

I have this home PC that has been the "random parts build" for years and years has contained everything from old Asus AM3 boards to a msi/i5 setup currently, some black caviars from 6-7 years ago, fans of various sizes and colors, and an ancient coolermaster sileo sound deadened case. All these parts have been swapped and used over and over over time, but the only thing that has remained constant is this trusted PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W PSU.

Today marks 9 years from the day I purchased it from a shop and its been used, probably darn close to daily for all of that time. Hands down the most bulletproof PSU I've ever purchased!!

Attachments

• pcpower.jpg
    pcpower.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 15

The VCR King

I have this home PC that has been the "random parts build" for years and years has contained everything from old Asus AM3 boards to a msi/i5 setup currently, some black caviars from 6-7 years ago, fans of various sizes and colors, and an ancient coolermaster sileo sound deadened case. All these parts have been swapped and used over and over over time, but the only thing that has remained constant is this trusted PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W PSU.

Today marks 9 years from the day I purchased it from a shop and its been used, probably darn close to daily for all of that time. Hands down the most bulletproof PSU I've ever purchased!!
I need to buy one of these for my rig... :rolleyes: their Fatal1ty series PSUs look cool...

Laquer Head

Yah I think mine is just called Firepower Silencer now after a typical merger/acquisition scenario..but I'm definitely going to consider a new one for next build.

JLuchinski

Makes me feel better about mine, about 3 years on mine. I pulled it apart to clean it for the first time the other day and there was virtually no dust in it, everything still looks brand new.

Darren

Staff member
My first CX600 that I got in September of 2011 is the longest life I've had out of a PSU. It lasted about 3.5 years. And it was the fan. Still works fine, just noisy. :D I've put CX600's in pretty much all of my builds and still have yet to see one die.

9 years is impressive.

spirit

Staff member
My first CX600 that I got in September of 2011 is the longest life I've had out of a PSU. It lasted about 3.5 years. And it was the fan. Still works fine, just noisy. :D I've put CX600's in pretty much all of my builds and still have yet to see one die.

9 years is impressive.
This OCZ ZS 650W of mine is 4 years old and is still going strong, no issues with it as far as I'm aware. Pretty good considering that people were telling me when I bought it in February 2012 that whilst it was decent, it wasn't as good as the Corsairs. :D :p

I don't think these OCZ ZS PSUs are even in production anymore.

beers

Staff member
I don't think these OCZ ZS PSUs are even in production anymore.

Yeah after OCZ tanked and their assets were bought by other companies I don't imagine you'd see a lot of their product lines as they previously were

spirit

Staff member
Yeah after OCZ tanked and their assets were bought by other companies I don't imagine you'd see a lot of their product lines as they previously were
Didn't their SSD division get sold to Toshiba or something? I could be wrong. I don't know what happened to their power supplies, I haven't seen them about for years.

I had an OCZ Vetex 4 too, that was a nice SSD when I got it new 3 years ago (back before the only word in the SSD world was 'Samsung'). My brother is happily using it now.

Schonza

I finally upgraded from my corsair hx-520 today after nearly 10 years of service. Been through 5 systems now, and only just starting drop in power output. Very impressed to say the least.

spirit

Staff member
This is why buying a good power supply is important. You clearly get your money's worth if you buy good ones!

Laquer Head

Well, not long after I posted this thread, the PC started random shutdown and other sketchy behavior.

Today I made the difficult decision to retire the trusty Silencer, out of an abundance of caution, and took advantage of a great deal on a new Full Modular Corsair RM650x as its replacement!! A few of the Corsairs have recently incresed their 7 year warranty to 10, so thats an added bonus as the RMx series is one of those!!!!

turbodiesel

9 years is impressive.

I have had the same PSU for a long time and I must say that everyone says it is a terrible PSU due to its "cheap" transistors etc. but mine has outlasted nearly everything in my systems and I would recommend it to anyone.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the same PSU for a long time and I must say that everyone says it is a terrible PSU due to its "cheap" transistors etc. but mine has outlasted nearly everything in my systems and I would recommend it to anyone.

But you aren't saying what unit you have?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I got my son the cx600 as well about 5 years ago I think. Still doing good running a 6870. They are good units but I'm sure there are a decent amount that have failed but all units will fail eventually.

spirit

Staff member
I got my son the cx600 as well about 5 years ago I think. Still doing good running a 6870. They are good units but I'm sure there are a decent amount that have failed but all units will fail eventually.
Only bad thing I've heard about the older CX series units are the fans. Otherwise they're great. Got my mum and dad CX430s about 4 years ago and both are going good, as is the 2 year old CX430M in the HTPC. :)