Pulsing freeze

SteveC

Hi guys,

Don't know if this has been covered, as I can't find anything through a search.

Anyhow, whenever I either a) open a new application, b) minimize an application, so that the desktop is showing, or c) have particular applications running (escpecially Azureus), my PC will freeze for a split second, every second. This only happens for about 1 minute, then things seem to return to normal. It is most noticable when I am moving the mouse around the screen, or if I am playing an mp3.

When I open a new application, this freezing gets worse, until the application fully loads.

I am running Windows XP on a 1.30 gigahertz Intel Celeron, 256 MB RAM, and a 20 GB HD with 5 GB available.

I could be wrong, but it either started to happen, or got worse when I reformatted my hard drive about a month ago. I can't quite remember it occuring or being this bad before then.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check that the drive isnt set to PIO mode :)

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.

SteveC

Have done all of that now. I found that Device 1 of the Primary IDE Channel was set to PIO. They all now say 'DMA if available', but they all still have a 'Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode'. THe problem is still occuring.

While I was reformatting the Hard Drive, I plugged another harddrive in to back up my data. Have I potentially moved something when I had the case open? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Have done all of that now. I found that Device 1 of the Primary IDE Channel was set to PIO. They all now say 'DMA if available', but they all still have a 'Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode'. THe problem is still occuring.
Ok if the current transfer mode = PIO then that's your problem (or at least one of them). You'll have to hunt around in the BIOS to setup the faster DMA mode.

While I was reformatting the Hard Drive, I plugged another harddrive in to back up my data. Have I potentially moved something when I had the case open
Uh.... you plugged a drive into the computer live?