Purchasing a 35mm film SLR - suggestions?

spirit

Staff member
Hi all,

It's a little way off but I wanted to get some advice anyway. OK so I finish school next May, and I will need to go to college or do A levels or some sort of further education, and I was having a look on my local college's website for IT courses actually, but I stumbled across a photography course which I am quite interested in.

I was reading the requirements and they mention that you need a digital camera which I already have blah blah blah and then I saw they mentioned that you'd also need a 35mm SLR for darkroom processing.

Since I don't have one of those, I'd need to get one, but I'm not sure which one to buy, so I'd like some guidance please - if anybody here knows much film photography. ;)

Been looking at the Nikon film cameras for a while now, and I noticed you can get F65 bodies really cheap on eBay second hand. The main reason for buying Nikon would be that I could theoretically use my existing Nikkor DX lenses on the F65 as well as my D3200. Is that correct? Or would my DX lenses not be ideal for film SLRs? (18-55 VR AF-S DX and 55-300 VR AF-S DX by the way).

Also, if I got an F65 with a lens, could I use that lens on my D3200? Or do film and digital SLRs need different lenses (a bit like you shouldn't use DX lenses on FX bodies and vice-versa?)

Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should get and is the F-65 a good film SLR to buy? No idea what kind of photography I'd be doing it with it by the way. :/

Thanks for your time!

Justin

VIP Member
You can mount a DX lens on a film camera but it isn't ideal because of the vignette.
3103757730_98bbcb768d_z.jpg

However, using a FX lens on a a DX body will work without a problem.

Re: F65.
I've had the F60 for a short time and to be honest it wasn't that brilliant, mainly the autofocus. I traded it for a Canon EOS 3 after 4 months.

spirit

Staff member
OK, how about the F75? And why didn't you like the F65?

What would be a F-mount lens to purchase for a Nikon film SLR?

Last edited:

Justin

VIP Member
I had the F60, not the 65. AF wasn't great, you only focus on one area which was the center. If you wanted something on the sides of the frame to be in focus, you had to do focus-recompose.

FX kit lenses are usually 28-80mm 3.5-5.6. I suggest you get a 50mm 1.8. Great lens on for both your FX and DX bodies.