Purpose of HDD

Waspman3372

So as I contemplate my new build was wondering. Do I have to have a HDD? Why not use like 2-3 SSD's instead. Quieter,no moving parts,faster? Just wondering.

beers

Staff member
You can go all solid state if you want, usually it's a capacity vs cost trade-off, where mechanical drives still offer larger capacities at lower costs.

I only use spinning drives in NAS/server these days, so much faster on the desktop to just leverage solid state.

Waspman3372

You can go all solid state if you want, usually it's a capacity vs cost trade-off, where mechanical drives still offer larger capacities at lower costs.

I only use spinning drives in NAS/server these days, so much faster on the desktop to just leverage solid state.
So 2 tb m.2 SSD's would be sufficient ya think. 1 for Windows and 1 for gaming. I was amazed at how much quicker the SSD fires Windows up. Also having 2nd thoughts about getting Windows 11 on my new rig.

beers

Staff member
So 2 tb m.2 SSD's would be sufficient ya think
I mean if the solution meets your storage and budgetary requirements, then by all means. Personally I like a single larger volume.

You could always reinstall W10 over top of it if you prefer that OS, I feel like people make up their mind through other peoples opinion rather than their own.

Waspman3372

I mean if the solution meets your storage and budgetary requirements, then by all means. Personally I like a single larger volume.

You could always reinstall W10 over top of it if you prefer that OS, I feel like people make up their mind through other peoples opinion rather than their own.
I did some research on the Windows 11. Youtube videos of course and it looks like a hassle. We'll see.