Putting components together

memory

I have no idea where that 3 pin connector would go. Does your case manual say anything about it?

I don't think the sata cables being plugged into the wrong spot would cause it to not boot. Does it do anything when you press the power button? If not you may want to try and manually jump the PSU.

If you want to try, I will explain how to do this.

Red Love X

I have no idea where that 3 pin connector would go. Does your case manual say anything about it?

I don't think the sata cables being plugged into the wrong spot would cause it to not boot. Does it do anything when you press the power button? If not you may want to try and manually jump the PSU.

If you want to try, I will explain how to do this.

The case manual isn't very helpful when it comes to the cables, it says absolutely nothing about them. The manual generally concerns itself with the construction of the case itself, and not the cords within. I may go read the mobo manual again and see if I can't see whether or not I've messed something up.

There's a place here that puts computers together, for the price of $60 an hour, so I'd rather not take it there if at all possible. I'm a little weary of jumping the PSU (though you're correct, I don't know how), but am curious as to what the problem would be. Case being defective? Mobo defective? Etc.

memory

After looking at the case manual online, it looks like the case has a five channel fan control. I would say you would plug it into that. Look at that tag on that connector, if you look on the top outside of the case, you should see the same symbol. That is what Drenlin was talking about.

It is not too hard to jump the PSU. Here is a video on how it is done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXzrCr0RLm4

Last edited:

Drenlin

There's no wrong spot with SATA...as long as one end is in the drive and the other is in the right spot on the mobo, you're good.

You got it to POST when it was out of the case, right?

Last edited:

Red Love X

I got it to display a green light on the motherboard. I didn't get to connect it to the monitor as I had no DVI cables on hand, so whether it booted up to BIOS/anything I'm not sure.

I'm not sure where that fan control is. I thought it would be on the top, so I opened up the top of the case to look, and didn't see any spots for it. I'm not sure where it's supposed to fit.

Drenlin

Now that I think about it, the fans should already be hooked up to the controller in the top panel. Those female connectors you're looking at are for adding more fans. (There's a spot for adding a 200mm fan on the side and top)

If you follow the wires from the existing fans, you should see them plugged into similar connectors.

Red Love X

Now that I think about it, the fans should already be hooked up to the controller in the top panel. Those female connectors you're looking at are for adding more fans. (There's a spot for adding a 200mm fan on the side and top)

If you follow the wires from the existing fans, you should see them plugged into similar connectors.

So those extra pins aren't necessary? I shouldn't be worrying about it?

Some other checklist I should be looking for? I have a friend coming over to take a look at it, hopefully he can find something.

Thanks for everyone's continued help and support, trying not to get frustrated.

Drenlin

Don't worry man. I told you something dumb would happen, right? Well here it is. It'll all be sorted before too long. :good: :)

Yeah, those extra fan plugs are unnecessary for now, since you have nothing to plug into them.

The green light on the mobo is still on, right?

Last edited:

Red Love X

Well, I figured it out. The hard, very elusive, swore-I-did-that-already problem?

I didn't have the 24pin connector pushed in all the way.

mlqk50.jpg

So, needless to say, it now boots. Ran through POST, failed at the DRAM_LED, so I reseated the RAM and it passed. Then it failed on the BOOT_LED, so I changed the SATA data cables to 3.0 rather than 6.0 and it booted! Everytime I boot, it tells me no Marvel Hard Disk is found, but after talking to a buddy he says it does that to him every time too, so I'm not worried.

Got Win7 installed, and up and running. When I went to go online, I found that the drivers had not yet been installed for my ethernet/couple other things along that line. So, since I can't connect to the internet to download the drivers, would it be a safe assumption that I can download them to a flash drive and then upload them to that computer? If I get the internet to work, would imagine that the rest would update on their own.

Don't worry man. I told you something dumb would happen, right? Well here it is. It'll all be sorted before too long. :good:

Yeah, that's really good advice. Hard to see that when you've been banging your head against it for the past 12 hours. :p

Oh, and I found out that the two other male fan connectors actually attach to the case fans on the side panel, hence why they weren't plugged in (so I could take the case off). So all I have left to do is get those connected, do some cable management, update drivers, and then be done.

Last edited:

Drenlin

Hah, nice. It's always the last thing you'd expect to be wrong. :p

Your motherboard should have come with a software disk containing the drivers and probably some random software. They may not be the newest drivers, but they'll get everything working. If it's the same as the picture on Newegg, it'll be black with green on it, perhaps hidden inside something.

The Marvel thing is the auxiliary SATA 6GB controller looking for a drive. You probably don't have any plugged into it, so it doesn't find anything. (it controls the dark blue ones)

Red Love X

I've gotten it all put together and running! Thanks for the tip, the install drivers worked just fine. I've been at work most of the day, so no new pictures, though I did a small amount of cable management to the chassis, got the fan connector up and running, and drivers for the GPU.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the insides/updates, and close this behemoth of a thread out :p

Red Love X

One thing I've noticed it doing is that when I press the power button, the computer will start up, fans and all, for about two seconds, then shut down (fans/lights off). Then two seconds later, it will start up and run just fine. Don't really think this is normal, but it's not inhibiting normal use, so I'm not sure how much of a problem it is.

memory

One thing I've noticed it doing is that when I press the power button, the computer will start up, fans and all, for about two seconds, then shut down (fans/lights off). Then two seconds later, it will start up and run just fine. Don't really think this is normal, but it's not inhibiting normal use, so I'm not sure how much of a problem it is.

Normally, it would do that when you changed a significant setting in the bios. Have you been in the bios and changed anything?

Red Love X

Quick google search shows that it's probably BIOS/mobo issue. I'll play with it a bit after work and post what I find. Thanks guys.

Red Love X

I'm back! Meant to have this up WAY earlier, but I got swamped right after building it. Still, I promised pictures (shoddy phone quality, but still), so here we go!

Inside:

n5fqxj.jpg

I know the cable management isn't very good, but I had a hard time moving the cables in a way that made the inside clean. The 24 and 8 pin were impossible to get outside with the PSU cords that I had without feeling like I was going to break something. The best part of the management, though I know it's hard to see in this picture, is that both the SATA cords, power and data, are routed outside, as well as all the fan control cords. The only exception to that being the fans on the front which clearly had to go through that way.

Outside:

30xizac.jpg

Outside 2:

nnmhdy.jpg

It's been working great so far, with only a few minor problems. The computer still double cold boots, but from what I've been reading, that's a fairly common problem with these motherboards, and isn't something to worry about. More concerning, though, was the email I got from Newegg about the problems these boards with the P67 chipset are beginning to have.

"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem."

Basically the rest of the email states that ports 2-5 are messed up and shouldn't be used, but that leaves all of two SATA ports to use. Newegg said that they'll be shipping out a replacement board as soon as it becomes available in March, so looks like I'm going to have to rip it out in a few weeks.

Other than that, computer runs great, and I'm extremely thankful for all the help I received on this forum. Wouldn't have been possible without you guys! Thanks for all you do.