putting microsoft office on disk from a computer

super 7

hi guys i had a old but the screen broke but it still works and i brought a new one because of the screen but on the old laptop i got some software called microsoft office and i wondered if theres a way of putting the software on disk and then putting it on my new one i tried and tried this arfternoon but i cant do it i wondered if eny of you guys would no then you can tell me how to do it

i would epreshate the help thanks

super 7

no my school put it on for me i want to no if theres a way of putting it from my old laptop to disk then install it on my new laptop

TFT

VIP Member
No, go back to the school and explain what happened and they will do the same again.

super 7

but they dont install it on persinal comeputers they only install it on the laptop if im using it in school

Zatharus

VIP Member
If the school installed it, then it is for school purposes and included in their licensing agreement. Your only option is to go back to the school to have them install it as the other two posts above have suggested. If they will not install it on a personal computer of yours (not surprising), you will have to purchase a copy. The Home and Student edition is not that expensive.

Simply put, you cannot put the install on a disk and transfer it to your other computer.

Zatharus

VIP Member
The reason for not being able to transfer the install? You need to have the installation disc/program in order to properly install Office or most any other Windows program.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
IDK if I would call loaning a disc to your friends "piracy"... it's not like you're torrenting it to everyone out there :/

But no, there's no way to transfer it from a disc to another just like that, you need to actually install it and to do that you need the key and the disc, which I doubt you have.

If you really need an office suite, I would recommend OpenOffice. It's free and open source, you can legally download it from their website. It's not quite as feature-rich (compared to MS Office), but for everything I've ever done in high school and TAFE so far, it's been more than enough.

massahwahl

VIP Member
IDK if I would call loaning a disc to your friends "piracy"... it's not like you're torrenting it to everyone out there :/

That is called 'piracy' what is the difference between loaning your disc to friends and loaning your disc image to friends via a torrent?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
That is called 'piracy' what is the difference between loaning your disc to friends and loaning your disc image to friends via a torrent?
Well usually by "torrenting" people mean public torrents, so you're sharing it out to everyone out there... whereas when you loan the disc, only the guy who's got it can use it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well usually by "torrenting" people mean public torrents, so you're sharing it out to everyone out there... whereas when you loan the disc, only the guy who's got it can use it.

There is no difference, it's still called piracy. Only one user per license.

tlarkin

VIP Member
There is no difference, it's still called piracy. Only one user per license.

Exactly, you can only install what the license says. Since it was put on by your school the license is actually owned by your university and they cannot transfer it to any of your home computers. Also, all MS products have so much DRM built into them, it is not really possible to take a working copy of any of their software and copy and paste it. None of their products are portable and self contained.

bkribbs

what's an ingorance lul?

brb, buying an eye patch. You reckon I should get a gold tooth to go with it?

You better be careful. You could easily get banned from the forum or at least receive an infraction, if you break the rules, which you currently are.