putting Win 7 on totally different PC

demonikal

If, and hopefully when, I decide to build a new PC this summer, with all new hardware, including motherboard, will I have to purchase a new Genuine version of Windows 7 (or Windows 10 if it's out by then):confused:

I can't deactivate Windows and then rearm it on a totally different computer:confused:

Will I have to go through the steps of calling Microsoft or can I just do the phone number thing where an automated voice gives me like 8 codes to type in and then I have to type a certain number of codes into the phone and activate it that way? Or when people talking about calling Microsoft, do they mean actually talking to a representative?

Cuz I've never been able to find a phone number as much as I've looked on the microsoft.com website. It seems like they don't want us to call them, like absolutely every question we have can be answered on the community forums.

Punk

Staff member
Yeah normally you have to deactivate it. It usually involves calling Microsoft. I did that for desktop a while ago when I went from 7 to 8. I had used the upgrade CD on my GF's laptop but it died after activation (what a joke lol). So all I did was call the number they gave when they had a conflict of activation and it worked perfectly. The number was only given when I tried to activate Win8, it wasn't on the back of the CD case or in the manual.