Q6600 or E8400 (i know its common but still)

Twist86

Depends on what you do...gaming for the most part a dual-core is better.

Everything else a quad-destroys.

iurytx

just a quick edit that i forgot before. My motherboard is now a 780i p5n-t deluxe. dont know if this is gonna change anything though

iurytx

another quick question!

does my 90nm p4 work in the p5n-t? i dont plan on getting a new processor till sometime in april.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Just quitting asking already, you know people are going to tell you different things. There's plenty of threads on this forum and others with information in, use the search.

Just buy one already.

Archangel

VIP Member
All i can say about this subject is.. My Q6600 removed the biggest annoyance I've had on my pc. a slow startup of windows and other programs.
the Q6600 started vista a lot faster than my friends E8400 (his was quicker past the loading screen, but before you can actually start using your pc is what I mean. )

I also run loads of stuff at the same time, hence I'm happy with the Q6600, and wouldnt want to switch it with a dual core. Like DirtyD said, the E8400 could be faster in games etc (altough, only slightly as far as I can see. ) and I say could be, because I recon there is some fanboy-ism involved! :p
either way, both are good processors, and Imo, both are worth their money. :)

iurytx

all righty then im gonna get a q6600 some time i april or sooner (hopfully sooner!)
another thing i want to know is if my 90nm P4 will work in my P5N-T Deluxe? Thats the only processor i have laying around and i dont have the oney for a new one.

DirtyD86

banned
and I say could be, because I recon there is some fanboy-ism involved! :p

only slightly :p

if there was a quad that was capable of higher clocks than the E8400 and didnt cost an arm and a leg, i'd definitely go with that. but games at the moment prefer high clocks over more cores, so that's why i'm such a big supporter of the E8400 and duals in general

Backwoods166

4GHz over 3GHz anyday :p

Unless he gets a B3 on stock cooling there is no quad that I have ever seen limited to 3Ghz ;)

3.4 is pretty much standard on a q6600 G0 and with a decent vid 3.6 isn't to much trouble.

besides he said no OC's :D:D:D:mad::eek::p

why not get your moneys worth? Its hard to kill these things :cool:

Archangel

VIP Member
4GHz over 3GHz anyday :p

but,.. but... a e8400 @ 4GHz is only 2x 4GHz, a Q6600 at 3GHz is 4x 3GHz. who's the daddy now? :p

kidding aside, I clocked my q6600 to 4GHz already too, at that point it did get unstable tough. 3.8GHz wasnt a problem tough. running it at 3,6GHz now, because that puts the fsb on 400MHz, and I'm a fan of pretty rounded numbers:)
(with unstable i mean. it did boot windows, but prime95 gave errors. :( )