Q9400 on P5N-E SLI?

Richard Parker

As a follow-up to all you helpful people, I ended up getting a very cheap Q8200 (which, I know, isn't the best chip, but it was the best deal around). It is a 45nm quad, like the others we've discussed.

Despite not being on the officially supported list, it's recognized by the 1406 bios and seems to work just fine. I've got it OC'd on automatic voltage to 2.66 (FSB just below 400, I think). It's stable like this. Any more and I get lots of random issues. Also, the NB get's quite hot to the touch. So I've decided to leave it at this for now (unless anyone has any tips... ScOuT... *nudge nudge*).

Thanks again!

linkin

VIP Member
Do what scout did to the NB on his board. here is a picture of my setup, you can see what he did to the NB, stuck a small fan on there with some screws. it helps a lot.

101_0156.jpg

87dtna

As a follow-up to all you helpful people, I ended up getting a very cheap Q8200 (which, I know, isn't the best chip, but it was the best deal around). It is a 45nm quad, like the others we've discussed.

Despite not being on the officially supported list, it's recognized by the 1406 bios and seems to work just fine. I've got it OC'd on automatic voltage to 2.66 (FSB just below 400, I think). It's stable like this. Any more and I get lots of random issues. Also, the NB get's quite hot to the touch. So I've decided to leave it at this for now (unless anyone has any tips... ScOuT... *nudge nudge*).

Thanks again!

The Q8200 may be intel's entry quad, but honestly it's about as strong as a Phenom II amd quad clock for clock. It just lacks the stock clock speed. You should be able to get 3ghz out of it easily, most likely on stock voltage...but maybe a slight bump.

Your mutliplier is 7, so FSB times 7. So right now for 2.66ghz you have your FSB at 380. 400 will get you 2.8ghz. Remember though to set your ram speed accordingly, unless the board you have has an unlinked option.

Whatever your stock Vcore is, manually set it in the bios. Auto voltage is your enemy, never use auto.
Also, are you just running the stock cooler?

linkin

VIP Member
P5N-E does have an unlinked mode, and it's very useful! I only want to void warranty on one of the most important parts of a computer, not two :rolleyes:

but it's really helpful.

Richard Parker

Yeah, I'm running unlinked, and have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (I think that's it...).

It seems to get unstable before it gets too hot (I'm using around 65 degrees as a safe temp under load... reasonable?). I've been betting that it's the NB that's getting overheated... what are the symptoms of an overheating NB, anyway?