Q9450 Overclocking?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I believe the Q9450 OC's a bit better than the Q6600, but every chip is different, so you'll have to try for yourself.

Scubie67

I was kind of set on the Q6600 because of the performance to cost and I figure with Oc'ing it performs close enough to an E8400 that I would only loose a few FPS in games now.In the long run with multi threaded games it would perform better than the E8400 as well as better for multitasking. But now that the Q9450s are starting to become available I am not sure? Does the Q9450 perform well enough over a Q6600 with its extra cache and all to be worth shelling out an extra $140 dollars?

Scubie67

It would be nice to have that 12 Mb L2 cache but I dont know if you could tell much of a diffrence especially for $140 more.There is some thing different about the Q9450 over the Q6600 other than cache that is supposed to be better for future use but I cant remember for the life of me what it is.Thanks for the replies diduknowthat.

Scubie67

I dont think it was that . Something 2.something or another that was supposed to be utilized better in programming in the future.

MosIncredible

I would say no, at least not for $140. I have the Q6600 and it's blazing fast even at stock speeds.

Pretty much. Q9450s bonus is slightly faster at same clocks/FSB (3-5%), less power usage/less heat (because of less power), SSE4 and 12MB cache. I personally didn't feel that was worth $140 so I went with the tried and true. I run a high FSB so even with speedstep on, it's faster than stock speeds.

Last edited:

Timo

I thought I posted here ?

To hit 4Ghz on a Q9450 you'd have to run a 500FSB... That's quite high and I don't think all the cores in a Q9450 will scale that well.

The Q6600 G0 is built far better in that way, you can always get up to 3.5Ghz without much troubles. And 4Ghz is easily done with good cooling and an Asus board or something that overclocks good as well. You only need to run a 445FSB for 4Ghz on a Q6600 (9 multiplier).

So it'll clock higher easily and costs over a hundred dollars less... I've seen it get up to 4.2Ghz even.. on WC :)