QBasic Decompilation

whatsmydingo

So my friend took a "class" on qbasic (it's a prerequisite) and he made this sweet little game. I want to look at the source code, and the challenge is for me to get that from the .exe. Is there a simple decompiler for a qbasic compiled program? Or do I have to do something more sneaky, like convert the binary of the .exe to ascii? I'm assuming that the compiled .exe is in binary.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
are you sure it was done in qbasic and visual basic. qbasic hasn't seen any love since the days of MS dos.

whatsmydingo

Yeah, I'm sure. There's no forms or anything, the qb environment just prints to the screen a lot. At school we have to take qb to learn the "basics" of programming before we can take vb or c++, yet we're allowed to take web design which teaches you perl, php, java, html and javascript with no prerequisites. But yeah, I tried just opening up the exe in notepad to get the binary and then converting that into ascii, but it didn't exactly work out.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
that's one odd school you are attending. if they really wanted you to learn something valueable as a foundation in programming they would be teaching you C. anyways, i don't know i how to decompile this program you have. haven't seen a qbasic program in years.

whatsmydingo

Yeah, they have qb and then vb, and then they switch to c++, which has a completely different structure, and basically qb was a pointless waste of a semester, as was vb, and I learned most everything I know from perl. But that doesn't mean I know a whole lot, I still want to know perl a lot better.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
[tab] said:
AFAIK QBasic programs are interpreted, rather than compiled.
i do recall that there was a way to make executables out of the little qbasic app. don't ask me how, i never did it and never saw anyone do it, but i do believe reading something about it. :shrug:

Christopher

VIP Member
My school forces me to take QB as well, next year is C then C++. And I've never compiled a QB program either :D There probably is a compiler somewhere though. (Google brings up a few ;))