QOS Questions

Kaega2

Hello everyone.

I just want to make Steam Link have priority over other packets on my network so my girlfriend's Netflix show won't interfere with my gaming. At the beginning of today I thought I understood how QOS works, but I posted on the Steam forums asking what ports I need to prioritize and received responses saying QOS is useless for private networks??

I'm using a Linksys WRT1900AC with DD-WRT 3.0-r37305. I want to prioritize Steam Link on my local area network. I know the ports. I also have some questions.

I was always under the impression that QOS only really works with LAN if the modem is separate from the router because the only the router would prioritize, not the modem. In the Steam forum I was told the opposite, it only works for internet traffic and doesn't work on your local area network. This makes no sense to me. How would the router not be able to prioritize it's own network traffic? Is this true? I noticed there's a port option in QOS with the options of "WAN" or "LAN & WAN", is this related to my question?

I've noticed the settings seem to always want me to put in a range of ports. If I have only one port to put in, would I say for example put in 27301~27301?

Thanks in advance.

beers

Staff member
Sounds like they're dumb, you can definitely tag DSCP or COS on an internal network.

You should be able to give it a shot with EF tagging. You could even just tag UDP as prioritized and that would cover everything gamewise since your Netflix stream should be TCP.

Kaega2

Thanks beers.

Yeah, I came here because I figured the advice of people on a game platform forum would be unreliable. For the port range, if I don't have a range of ports, would I just put the same port in both fields?

beers

Staff member
Yep IIRC that works. Similar with port forwarding on DD-WRT. A range number to itself should interpret correctly.