Quad Core Released!

PC eye

banned
so how much are they?

Until they are being sold retail no one will any exact prices on the different models they come out with. But like any X2 model when those first came out you can expect the initial prices to be up around the $1,100 figure. Once they have been out for close to a full year those will drop down usually under $800-. The AMD64 4200+ X2 is now seen for only $202 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

Geoff

VIP Member
There are many retailers selling them for around $1000-$1100. Just do a quick Froogle search.

shareteehee

just wondering but is this a good time to buy a new computer? it seems with all these fancy cpu's comming out... wouldnt it mean the prices of computers will drop again? theres the window vista also... getting a computer with window xp on it would be pointless no?

PC eye

banned
just wondering but is this a good time to buy a new computer? it seems with all these fancy cpu's comming out... wouldnt it mean the prices of computers will drop again? theres the window vista also... getting a computer with window xp on it would be pointless no?

There is never a good or bad time there is only the time you buy. While getting a break on price drops seen on some things you get a start when you get a look at the next thing to come out. That makes your system outdated right there. Where it takes 5yrs. for Microsoft to come out with the about to be released Vista versions of Windows just about everyone has gone from 500mhz pcs to 2ghz - 4ghz systems and from 128mb of ram to 1gb on average.

Vista will probably see the usual bugs when it first comes out. That's why many are waiting for the eventual 2nd edition or service packs to follow. Others will simply jump in head first without looking. The initial $399 retail tag is quite a bit over what was paid many years back for 98SE! I think I will be waiting for a few things as well.

Dialamo

Hmm...I notice the bus speed is limiting some of the potential of the Quad Cores. 1066MHz seems to be too little for this processor. I wish they released 1333MHz bus speed compatible motherboards for these beasts.

Geoff

VIP Member
Hmm...I notice the bus speed is limiting some of the potential of the Quad Cores. 1066MHz seems to be too little for this processor. I wish they released 1333MHz bus speed compatible motherboards for these beasts.

Intel states that the 1066Mhz bus is plenty for this desktop processor. However it may or not be a limiting factor in some apps.

compuborg

Do the 1333 MHz bus cards exist?

PC eye

banned
E6650, E6750 and E6850 are going to have a 1333MHz bus speed.

They are not released yet

It will be the Bearlake-X chipset replacing the 975X line that will see the 1,333mhz fsb. But they apparently won't offer support for multi gpu capabilities anywhere near what the PC3-10600 DDR3 1333mhz memory will. That will see a limit on memory speed to PC3-8500 DDR3 1066mhz. You can read over that little tidbit at http://xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20061017125148.html