Quad-core without a processor fan

blakeblogger

Hey everyone-

If any of you are planning to build a new computer and want to keep it quiet, I thought you might find this interesting. Recently, I build a quad-core computer using an Antec nine-hundred case. You can check out more about it at:

http://yourmediastop.blogspot.com/2008/11/build-silent-computer-no-processor-fan.html

I know its always risky not throwing that processor fan on there, but its so nice having my computer this quiet. Anybody know of other cases you can do this with? I've heard you can buy some pretty quiet fans, but how quiet are they really when your processor really gets working? It would be really nice to have all my computers this quiet but not have to worry about the case dynamics.

mac550

you should always have a fan unless the heatsink is designed for not use a fan. most cpu fans are quiet, so there is point worring about it

Twist86

Even if the heatsink is designed without a fan I would still use one. Your looking at 5c+ difference in CPU temps. Even in a Antec 900.

Case in point the Accelero S2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186017

While no fan is needed people report as much as 10c drops in temps by using one.

Its not hard to get some low DB fans that push a good amount of air and with the CPU and GPU getting hotter and hotter now a days its not a wise idea.

If sound is REALLY a issue...go water cooling but never risk a high-dollar component.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
you should always have a fan unless the heatsink is designed for not use a fan. most cpu fans are quiet, so there is point worring about it

i agree.

tbh i think this post is just to spam the site :rolleyes:

Bartmasta

banned
Yeesh I have an arctic cooler pro on highest speed and I don't mind. It's not that loud but you can actually hear it unlike the stock fan.

Just use a stock one, you can't hear them anyways.

Vipernitrox

well that's new.... NOT
cases with a psu in the bottom are great for this though.
i've got mine setup in the same way.

Caminokid

One thing I dont care about is fan noise. I would rather have noise then not have noise...and end up without a computer because of no fan.