Quake IV not installing, XP X64 Problem?

f.i.t.h

I'm trying to install Quake 4 on xp x64 but i keep getting that bloody:
"The image file setup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." error.

When using the .msi installer, i get:
"The installation package could no be opened.
Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

I'm pretty sure that this is 'cause of Xp x64, and while some people appear to have problems with Q4 and XP x64, no one seems to be having this problem, at least no one posted it on a forum that google searches.

Is there any way for me to get quake working short of installing 32 bit version of xp?

Speaking of which, is there anyway to revert to 32 bit version and keep all programs intact? (I hate having to back stuff up)

PC eye

banned
There's no way to revert to a 32bit edition of XP there unless that was an upgrade to the 64bit edition. For seeing Q4 installed and running that's not supported in the 64bit edition of XP while many games will go on a 64bit edition of Vista being Vista compatible to begin with. XP Pro 64 was a different animal to start with there.

f.i.t.h

Yea, i saw that it wasn't supported but i know other people with 64 bit xp who run it fine, not to mention there are tones of people online who can... Oh well, time to install 32 bit xp...

PC eye

banned
They may have tweaked the installer somehow by running it in a compatibilty mode. The game itself was written primarily for the 32bit editions of XP there. Plus the 64bit edition should be labeled ME II for not actually seeing the driver support for hardwares.

Most now will go after the 64bit versions of Vista and add more memory in for gaming machines since they can run 4gb or more and the 64bit editions will have all of that available for ram less system processes and anything running in the background.

f.i.t.h

Meh, just installed XP 32bit again, this was the last straw for 64 bit, i already dumped vista, now x64 xp.

Thats .75gb ram going to waste, and my processors 64bit capabilities... oh well.

Probably will not go back till M$ makes a X64 only OS.

PC eye

banned
The thing is that XP Pro 64 was intended to be the upgrade for XP Pro 32bit there. This was due to now seeing the 32/64 capabilities in cpus.

The 3rd party support and compatibility wasn't there while Vista 64 is now seeing a better base support when you look around at ATI/AMD or NVidia's support pages selecting Vista 64 drivers or simply reading which versions/editions are supported with any driver set.

Presently I'm waiting for the chance to boot into XP again to find out something I found a little odd here now having seen a 4gb kit replace the original 2gb where some 2.8gb is available ram after everything is loaded up. if you deduct Vista's 512 that brings that upto 3.312gb with only 300mb in other processes to add to that seeing a total of 3.5899gb total out of 4gb available ram on a 32bit edition.

Now deduct that from 4gb to see roughly 400mb only being mapped out to hardwares according to the performance monitor. As far as Q4 you would never use the full 4gb to start with being well over what it takes to run it at max settings!

Death By Bass

you probably could have simply installed Quake 4 on another machine, and copied it over...

I have a version of quake 4 on my current machine, that was installed on an AMD XP2200, copied to a 3.0Ghz P4, then copied to my E5200...

the thing is, it didn't run on the P4 :p

PC eye

banned
No because the registry entries were seen on the first machine created by the installer for the game. Simply copying folders/files over to a second won't work.

Death By Bass

No because the registry entries were seen on the first machine created by the installer for the game. Simply copying folders/files over to a second won't work.

it does work.

its working on the computer I'm on right now.

and thats exactly what I did.

I installed it on an XP machine, it worked, copied it to another XP machine, it didn't work, installed vista on the second XP machine, didn't try Q4 then.. then copied everything from the second machine, to my latest PC, running Vista, and it works...

PC eye

banned
I'm totally surprized at hearing that since a good number of older games simply unpacked into folders created by the installer. Newer games won't see that however. Apparently Q4 doesn't see any reg entries for that to work.