quality of brand names?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Kingston isn't the best brand but it's what I have in my machine. It works fine for me. As for PNY, I always thought they were a pretty cheap brand...

PC eye

banned
I wouldn't give you the time of day for PNY while running Kingston here if that gives you one answer. The last time I saw ONY memory in any machine was literally years ago with PC133 simms. Kingston is one of the top brands to answer the question there. Besides I run 2gb here already. :D

mark winslow

thanks for the answer. I'm stuck on a rock in the middle of the ocean (Hawaii) and don't have a large selection (unless I buy on the internet). Funny thing is PNY shops for $99 after rebate. The kingston sells for $44. Assumed the kingston was a less reliable brand. I can now max out the memory on my Laptop with kingston for the price of 1 stick of PNY. Thanks for the info. If kingston isn't one of the top brands then what would you say is the top 1 to 5 brands? just curious.

PC eye

banned
Kingston Value Ram has been used here just before the old case quite one day. :( Before that a pair of CMX512-3200C2 Corsair xms series memory ran the show. :D But when memtest was suddenly seeing errors that just weren't there plus wanting to see a performance boost :D the 2gb of Kingston was ordered. :D But then memtest found 573 errors one day on the 2gb of brand new Kingston memory one day... :eek: !!! That was after the cpu overheated and board started acting up. :( Besides Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair, and now the same Kingston seeing no errors on this build :D Viking and OCZ are the other two brands that see good reviews until you install OCZ on Asus boards for some reason. :confused: OCZ does have the higher price for the "premium"? :confused: brand there. :rolleyes:

SirKenin

banned
Kingston makes a highend series (HyperX or something like that) and a budget (ValueRam) series. Their budget series is kind of crappy, not exactly known for it's performance. You can buy it at any computer shop, Worst Buy or whatever. PNY I've never used, but I'll take Corsair over any of them.

Mark Winslow: have you considered buying from Newegg? Their prices are better then most other places. They are reputable, and very good with customer service.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have always been a fan of crucial memory works with everything. Corsair is overpriced, has compatibility and bottle neck issues, and doesn't really improve performance over other RAM except by a few numbers in a bench mark.

SirKenin

banned
Crucial is made by Micron. Not really that great. I have some in one of my rigs at home, and it doesn't overclock worth a shit. Other than that it's ok. Reliable.

tlarkin

VIP Member
i don't over clock anything though, and crucial as been the most compatible ram I have ever worked with. it will even run in those extremely picky sonys I had to deal with in the past, no other ram would work in it.

Over clocking really only yields bragging rights in most cases, and puts more stress on your hardware.

Jet

VIP Member
Crucial is made by Micron. Not really that great. I have some in one of my rigs at home, and it doesn't overclock worth a shit. Other than that it's ok. Reliable.

Isn't Micron the company that makes all of the high end memory (little black rectangles) for everyone?

PC eye

banned
The Kingston Value Ram has done an excellent job here without issue while error free Corsair xms series dimms saw memtest raise alarms prior to the problem that came up on the old case. I wouldn't go with PNY on "any" build at this late date. For ocing Mushkin has had the big rep there even over Corsair.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I don't know if this relates to my RAM or what, but all in all, I'm quite pleased with my RAM. Typically I get one major lag when I begin a game(usally only a second or so) then it's fine. Honestly, I can't complain about that.... Again, I have Kingston value RAM. I did the research and found the chips I purchased were guarrentied to work with my mobo.

PC eye

banned
I don't know if this relates to my RAM or what, but all in all, I'm quite pleased with my RAM. Typically I get one major lag when I begin a game(usally only a second or so) then it's fine. Honestly, I can't complain about that.... Again, I have Kingston value RAM. I did the research and found the chips I purchased were guarrentied to work with my mobo.

You know we are both running DDR400 PC3200 Kingston Value Ram with no problem to complain about. :D

Any of you guys know which overclocks better? Kingston or Corsair?

Corsair is usually the one there respected as the "gaming/ocing" type memory. The XMS series dimms not the Corsair single sided value ram would be the type. Likewise Kingston also has it's own performance line. Different brands will also see better results with certain makes and models of boards. That's one thing to take note of.