quality of brand names?

SirKenin

banned
how about Mushkin?

Mushkin will blow away Kingston.

I don't know if this relates to my RAM or what, but all in all, I'm quite pleased with my RAM. Typically I get one major lag when I begin a game(usally only a second or so) then it's fine. Honestly, I can't complain about that.... Again, I have Kingston value RAM. I did the research and found the chips I purchased were guarrentied to work with my mobo.

It's decent.. It's compatible and all. It's just that the Value series are dogs. If you want budget, fine. If you want performance... Nah.

PC eye

banned
It depends primarily an the application where the type of memory makes the difference. Why spend far more for high end performance just to check the spam in your inbox? :eek: :p For a rigid gaming and ocing rig you wouldn't drop a lawn mower engine into dragster that generally sees a 426 hemi engine. :rolleyes: errrrrrrrrr............................zzzzzzzzzzzoooommmmmm "1/4mile line"! :D The lawn mower motor would simply go... pa put pa putt pa put put paaa... :(

Angel.of.Death

It depends primarily an the application where the type of memory makes the difference. Why spend far more for high end performance just to check the spam in your inbox? :eek: :p For a rigid gaming and ocing rig you wouldn't drop a lawn mower engine into dragster that generally sees a 426 hemi engine. :rolleyes: errrrrrrrrr............................zzzzzzzzzzzoooommmmmm "1/4mile line"! :D The lawn mower motor would simply go... pa put pa putt pa put put paaa... :(

Very passionate :D

Good point.

apj101

VIP Member
and it doesn't overclock worth a s$$$
please dont swear, we have users as young as 10 here!

Many ram manufacturers jostle for top at difference price-performance points
Picking ram should follow the same procedure as picking anything else, set budget first, then look for the best in the pric

Archangel

VIP Member
the same procedure as picking anything else, set budget first, then look for the best in the pric

hmm.... i gues thats one difference between guy's and girls.. i usually look around whats available, and then adapt the budget a bit if needed. :p

apj101

VIP Member
hmm.... i gues thats one difference between guy's and girls.. i usually look around whats available, and then adapt the budget a bit if needed. :p
really i thought it went, set a budget of X. Goto shops and spend 2*X :)

or if like me you are married then it goes
set budget of X
goto shops and spend X*all husbands disposable spend :)

PC eye

banned
Oh well... When the old case saw a bit of the worst "suddenly" the budget for a new build in 2007 kind of went out of the window.... :eek: :( :confused: :mad: But the news about Vista, IE 7, FireFox 2.0 now out, and of course AM3 kind of leaves room for "Planning"! hhhhmmm.... :D

Archangel

VIP Member
really i thought it went, set a budget of X. Goto shops and spend 2*X :)

or if like me you are married then it goes
set budget of X
goto shops and spend X*all husbands disposable spend :)

Lmao.. XD.. by the look of that,.. there are actually's pro's of marrieing :p

PC eye

banned
Now... now... if I could only ree...memory burrrr the ... topics of dis gust shun here I would simply point the need to review the specifications seen on each brand of memory as well as compatibility issues sometimes seen with various hardware combos. If you don't match the memory and other hardwares on a new build too carefully it will like carrying a "ball & chain" around with you wherever you go. (small smirk he he hee :p )

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
I've been using Kingston Value RAM for a while and I don't have any problems so far.
and I never used any of the others.

tlarkin

VIP Member
At my old job I was a lead Tech. I dealt with clients, did warranty repair and custom builds of systems for people. On the sales side of the company there were some gamer kids who swore up and down on high end over clocked memory like corsair.

I totally did a pepsi challenge with them. You see we would custom build a demo gaming rig so our clients could come in and witness the new hardware for sale and actually play games on it. We had UT and HL2 loaded on it, and I think Doom 3...

Anyways, the original build had corsair memory in it. I took 1 gig of the highest end DDR corsair memory and 1 gig of Patriot (real cheap memory) and ran the games once with the high end and once with the cheap.

No one could really tell the difference, a few people guess right but they had a 50/50 chance of guessing right anyways. Sure if I ran some benchmarks some tests came out a few points higher, but its not like it made a huge difference.

One thing I did see a lot building higher end systems is bottle necks, that would eventually lead to memory leaks and crashed applications after some time of useage (like a few hours).

That is why over clocking stuff is almost pointless. You put more strain on your hardware and get minimal real world performance boosts. Sure in benchmarks, and in some extreme cases you may get a noticeable difference, but in real world applications and even in gaming you probably won't notice a difference.

PC eye

banned
I've been using Kingston Value RAM for a while and I don't have any problems so far.
and I never used any of the others.

I'm using Kingston Value Ram here while running HL2 and other newer pc games and multimedia apps with the system running "as smooth as silk'! There's no complaints on good memory. :D

im a big corsair supported considering my ASUS mobo seems to favor corsair

Asus boards have a tendency to favor certain brands like Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, and a few others. Another brand will see OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, Viking run great. The best memory always seems to be the memory recommended by the board's manufacturer do having been tested with it. That resolves any incompatibility problems.

At my old job I was a lead Tech. I dealt with clients, did warranty repair and custom builds of systems for people. On the sales side of the company there were some gamer kids who swore up and down on high end over clocked memory like corsair.

I totally did a pepsi challenge with them. You see we would custom build a demo gaming rig so our clients could come in and witness the new hardware for sale and actually play games on it. We had UT and HL2 loaded on it, and I think Doom 3...

Anyways, the original build had corsair memory in it. I took 1 gig of the highest end DDR corsair memory and 1 gig of Patriot (real cheap memory) and ran the games once with the high end and once with the cheap.

No one could really tell the difference, a few people guess right but they had a 50/50 chance of guessing right anyways. Sure if I ran some benchmarks some tests came out a few points higher, but its not like it made a huge difference.

One thing I did see a lot building higher end systems is bottle necks, that would eventually lead to memory leaks and crashed applications after some time of useage (like a few hours).

That is why over clocking stuff is almost pointless. You put more strain on your hardware and get minimal real world performance boosts. Sure in benchmarks, and in some extreme cases you may get a noticeable difference, but in real world applications and even in gaming you probably won't notice a difference.

When I was running the old AGP board with the ATI Radeon 9550 and 1gb of Corsair xms series memory and then swapped to 2gb of Kingston Value Ram I noticed performance increase more with the increase of memory then the type there. Every game and app that ran with the Corsair runs just as well even now with the Kingston at stock!

OCing most certainly stresses out your hardwares and will often shorten the life of them. Here I build a case to be more of work horse then a speedster. It's like the old saying "the bulb that burns the brightest burns the quickest". If you want anything to last you have to maintain it not abuse it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I noticed. I saw. I perceived. Not a single bloody benchmark. Therefore the entire post is meaningless.

Oh, I admit that they bench higher results, but in real world experiences 9 times out of 10 the user can't tell the difference.

SirKenin

banned
Oh, I admit that they bench higher results, but in real world experiences 9 times out of 10 the user can't tell the difference.

I agree.. That's one reason why his post is full of crap. I know Kingston Value RAM doesn't bench worth a damn. I've gone through enough of it. RAM like OCZ Platinum will absolutely kill it.

The only two points that Kingston Value RAM has, and they aren't reserved for Kingston either, is that they are very compatible and reliable.