Query over Software

uniquekrishna

Hi All Forum Member

I am new to this forum.

I would like to know that can we use DOS Based software in Windows XP.
If we can do so then how can we use that.

Waiting for a quick respons.

Thanks
Krishna
:)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. You can use DOS software in WXP

2. It's not reccomended because (a) DOS software is typically antiquated and (b) It might not work so well and (c) depending on the software, it's a pain in the arse to configure

3. You can try by running the application directly. If that doesnt work you might want to goto the application properties and mess around with compatability mode :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Make a shortcut to the application
2. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties
3. Goto the Compatability tab :)

uniquekrishna

but whenever i click on the dos based software it opens the command prompt but after 10sec. it will automatically closes & does not show any messages.

So how can we use that & and what does Compatability tab means

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but whenever I click on the dos based software it opens the command prompt but after 10sec. it will automatically closes & does not show any messages.
To actually use the program, dont "click" ... DOS was before "clicking" :D You'll have to start the program using the old-school technique:
1. Start
2. Run
3. cmd
4. Find the program
5. Run it

what does Compatability tab means
Look at it! :) There's a description of the functionality on that tab (of course i dunno how well it will work)

uniquekrishna

Praetor i have tried ur suggestion but it is not working..
When i am opening that DOS programme it is showing
"Insufficient DOS Files"

AainaalyaA

complexities of xp has stopped many from exe. dos apps
i tried to run dos apps before, but it always without fail, give me either a run-time error or something else

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Are you sure about the error "Insufficient DOS Files"? I don't think that DOS have such an error message. But it could be one of the program's own messages. What program is that?

uniquekrishna

Lorand said:
Are you sure about the error "Insufficient DOS Files"? I don't think that DOS have such an error message. But it could be one of the program's own messages. What program is that?

It is showing the error "Insufficient DOS Files provided byu DOS"
The programme is Tally4.5 an Indian accoounting package.

kb1ghc

The "Windows Compatibility" has never helped me, i don't think it does a single thing. It seems nothing from Windows <98 works on XP. no drivers, no software. I CAN'T EVEN PLAY DOOM2 ON XP. i know a few people have installed both Win98 and XP and theres a program that lets you run Win98 inside of XP. Goodluck on that. Windows XP is a pain.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I CAN'T EVEN PLAY DOOM2 ON XP.
Something wrong there because I can :p (without even using the compatability thingy)

Windows XP is a pain.
That it is .... gotta spend a lot of time cleaning out the gunk :)

Uniquekrishna
Another possibility is to boot up via an older DOS bootdisk and run the program directly. Of course if you've got NTFS partitions that might make things a tad difficult

How to use Dos Based Prog in Windows

uniquekrishna said:
Hi All Forum Member

I am new to this forum.

I would like to know that can we use DOS Based software in Windows XP.
If we can do so then how can we use that.

Waiting for a quick respons.

Thanks Rehan
Krishna
:)
Please tell me that how to use Tally4 in Windows Environment