Question about amd athlon 2 processor

soulite32

My parents bought a computer for general use but my dad is somewhat of a gamer.
When he bought the computer, he hadn't realized it came with the AMD Athlon 2 170u processor which is only single core.

My question is, are they able to upgrade to a dual core?

The computer they bought was a compaq presario cq5700y
with windows 7 64bit, 500 gig hdd.

Also, any suggestions for a good dual core, if I can upgrade?

(Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)

Thanks!

He plans on getting the 2x 4gig ram sticks since the 64 bit can run 8gbs, just in case someone was going to ask about ram.

soulite32

Yeah I figured.
I told him to just take it back and spend his money on something better, or even built one from scratch.

But thanks for the help.

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
My parents bought a computer for general use but my dad is somewhat of a gamer.
When he bought the computer, he hadn't realized it came with the AMD Athlon 2 170u processor which is only single core.

My question is, are they able to upgrade to a dual core?

The computer they bought was a compaq presario cq5700y
with windows 7 64bit, 500 gig hdd.

Also, any suggestions for a good dual core, if I can upgrade?

(Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)

Thanks!

He plans on getting the 2x 4gig ram sticks since the 64 bit can run 8gbs, just in case someone was going to ask about ram.
Dear soulite32,

Hi, saw your posting. I work for HP. Do you still need assistance?

Regards,

SoMeAm
at HP

He plans on getting the 2x 4gig ram sticks since the 64 bit can run 8gbs, just in case someone was going to ask about ram.[/QUOTE]

daisymtc

Do you have a budget?

RAM - 2 x 2GB would usually be enough. But there is no harm if you want 2 x 4GB

If you are after gaming machine, you will need to buy new PSU and video card as well

SoMeAm

Dear soulite32,

If the cq5700y has not been returned, here is some additional information. The specs for the cq5700y show under "Processor Upgrade":

Processor upgrade information:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)
AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)
---------------

Video graphics

Integrated graphics using Intel GMA x4500
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*
NOTE: *Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Please email me at [email protected] Attn: Priscilla with your contact information and serial number of the computer. Then we can have some one from HP contact you.

Regards,

SoMeAm
HP Social Media Ambassador

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dear soulite32,

If the cq5700y has not been returned, here is some additional information. The specs for the cq5700y show under "Processor Upgrade":

Processor upgrade information:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only Socket AM3 processors are supported with this motherboard.

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)
AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)
---------------

Video graphics

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*
NOTE: *Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Please email me at [email protected] Attn: Priscilla with your contact information and serial number of the computer. Then we can have some one from HP contact you.

Regards,

SoMeAm

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you work for HP, get it together. The board has no PCIe slot. Trying to make a gaming computer out of it is a waste of time. Cheap lowend board.

The motherboard in a presario cq5700y
c02552642.jpg

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=5049573#N200

SoMeAm

Hello Strangehold,

Thanks for your response. I was providing soulite32 with the processor upgrade information that appears in our system and have invited the customer to contact me directly so that I can have one of our experts review the customer's issue. I certainly was not trying to suggest that this cq57007 could be turned into a gaming computer. And as you know, HP has a high end line of gaming computers. However, since the customer says one parent does "some gaming" this customer may not want to purchase one of these expensive units for occasional or nonserious gaming. I would like to put this customer in touch with one of our HP experts.
Regards,

SoMeAm

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views and strategy of HP.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Think post 3 and 4 about covered it. And no, I would not suggest buying a HP or Compaq expensive unit either. lol

Been building and repairing computers for 15 years. Believe me, I know how well OEM computers are built. I understand that most people cant build there own, but if possible I would suggest it.

2048Megabytes

I agree. I will probably never buy a pre-built desktop ever again. When you get to pick your own custom parts you get a much better quality system with a 3 year warranty on the parts that you do not have to pay out extra money out on. What warranty do most pre-built computers come with if you do not pay them extra money? Only one year from what I have seen.

Better quality parts and an extended two year warranty are two great reasons I will likely never buy a pre-built desktop personal computer.

Mishkin

OEM systems are piles of crap, generally. :) And that HP rep needs to go work at Best Buy, they would fit right in.

I find it unfortunate (and also pretty sad), that even to this day, a multitude of people don't know jack squat about computers, even for basic hardware spec stuff. They go out, unknowingly buy a piece of crap system that doesn't fit their needs whatsoever, and then have to go through the hassle of "upgrading" their system so they can do what they bought it for in the first place. Many of these people then blame their respective OEM company for their own stupidity. The truly funny thing is, they could educate themselves "enough" in about 10 minutes whether or not what they're buying will work for them, but they don't.

Most of the issues performance-wise stem from many OEM systems coming only with integrated graphics. I can't blame the OEM companies for continuing to go that route for many setups. The general public is a bunch of computer retards, and integrated graphics are great for profits. :)

linux992

I don't like OEM's either and I built my own system, but looking at the motherboard picture doesn't it have 2 black PCIe x1 slots? Also the description says it has 2 PCI express slots.

Attachments

• c02552642.jpg
    c02552642.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I don't like OEM's either and I built my own system, but looking at the motherboard picture doesn't it have 2 black PCIe x1 slots? Also the description says it has 2 PCI express slots.

Talking about upgrading the video card. A PCIe X1 slot doesnt do you much good. Needs a PCIe X8/16 slot.

Demilich

OEM systems are piles of crap, generally. :) And that HP rep needs to go work at Best Buy, they would fit right in.

I find it unfortunate (and also pretty sad), that even to this day, a multitude of people don't know jack squat about computers, even for basic hardware spec stuff. They go out, unknowingly buy a piece of crap system that doesn't fit their needs whatsoever, and then have to go through the hassle of "upgrading" their system so they can do what they bought it for in the first place. Many of these people then blame their respective OEM company for their own stupidity. The truly funny thing is, they could educate themselves "enough" in about 10 minutes whether or not what they're buying will work for them, but they don't.

Most of the issues performance-wise stem from many OEM systems coming only with integrated graphics. I can't blame the OEM companies for continuing to go that route for many setups. The general public is a bunch of computer retards, and integrated graphics are great for profits. :)

Your post is ridiculous. It's ridiculous to insinuate families (which, on average, the American Mom and Dad work 40+ hours a week) are computer retarded, and blatantly stroll to Walmart and buy HP, Asus, Dell, eMachines, etc. because they're morons. Same concept with politics, it's like saying you don't know what it's like to be president, yet you don't understand why he makes a choice that you don't agree with, talk smack about him, because you're "politically retarded". You're just as stupid as the next person, if you want to stick by your own perspective, sir.

If it took you 10 minutes to learn everything about computers, that's probably why you're posting in this forum.

Also, you can get extended warranties for pre-built computers for very cheap, so that argument is mute. And the average user (that's correct, gamers are not average users) thrive with integrated graphics chipsets, because they will never need anything more. So that makes you "business" retarded??? Most people work for a living. You probably live in a 1 bedroom apartment, go to college, that your mommy and daddy paid for, and you think you're king of the world, and you must know everything. lolz so silly. Peeps that hate on pre-built computer manufacturers simply have no idea how slow to technology we would be if everyone was required to build their own. Use that brain.

Last edited:
a six core? what is he playing??? bad company 2 and world of warcraft? epic.... please, list of games, make sure you know that the mother board has the same CPU slot...happened to me...got a am2 dual core CPU, i had a 939 slot.....waste of $70.

Mishkin

Your post is ridiculous. It's ridiculous to insinuate families (which, on average, the American Mom and Dad work 40+ hours a week) are computer retarded, and blatantly stroll to Walmart and buy HP, Asus, Dell, eMachines, etc. because they're morons. Same concept with politics, it's like saying you don't know what it's like to be president, yet you don't understand why he makes a choice that you don't agree with, talk smack about him, because you're "politically retarded". You're just as stupid as the next person, if you want to stick by your own perspective, sir.

If it took you 10 minutes to learn everything about computers, that's probably why you're posting in this forum.

Also, you can get extended warranties for pre-built computers for very cheap, so that argument is mute. And the average user (that's correct, gamers are not average users) thrive with integrated graphics chipsets, because they will never need anything more. So that makes you "business" retarded??? Most people work for a living. You probably live in a 1 bedroom apartment, go to college, that your mommy and daddy paid for, and you think you're king of the world, and you must know everything. lolz so silly. Peeps that hate on pre-built computer manufacturers simply have no idea how slow to technology we would be if everyone was required to build their own. Use that brain.

Wow, you make no real sense bud. And I disagree with pretty much everything you said, most of which doesn't even really relate to my post, at least in your strange context. Let's just agree to disagree, huh?

If you leave it alone, I won't pick apart your post and explain it to you. Your call.

Last edited: