Question about cpu fan.

mats96

I got new cpu fan for my laptop since old one had problem with bearings. My problem is that new fan speed doesnt go over 500 rpms. When I start laptop fan speed is about 900 rpms but when I start gaming it goes down to 500 or 400 rpms that means laptop gets quite high temps.

I tried to change fan speed but there is no such option in bios and even speedfan or hwinfo doesnt let me change that. Laptop is also cleaned and new thermal paste have been applied as well. Laptop is also on high peformance on battery settings since otherwise I cant game at all. For some reason charger doesnt that much power it used to give atleast according to hp popup I get on laptop.

Any idea whats causing fan to go on low speeds?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What fan are you using now and what fan were you using? If I had to guess I'd say the new fan wants to run at a higher voltage than the old one. But if you got the same fan, I don't know.

mats96

I just googled the model of my laptop and it popped the fan for it. It looks nearly same as old fan but it works more quiet (old one made lot of noises even when idle).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Should have compared model numbers from old fan to new. Either wrong fan or bad fan. Do you still have old fan?

mats96

I still have old fan. Old fan went 800 rpm max and dropped to 500 rpm like the new one. Funny thing is that both fans drop their rpm when gaming.

Edit: New fan actually goes up to 900 rpms when idle (which is higher than old fan) but drops to 500.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's a 5V fan so you could always take it and hook it up to a 5V source (on yellow, black for return edit: I might be going blind, the colours might be off here...it's generally pins 1 & 2 for power) and see how fast it spins. Without PWM on the 4th pin it should go at full speed.

CPU fans are frequently 12v, but in an OEM laptop who knows. It's unlikely they are stepping the voltage down in the fan though.

mats96

Does taking away keyboard away and looking how fast it goes would that help me determine if it goes at full speed or not?

mats96

Ah I knew it was stupid thing to ask but what I meant if I look at fan while doing cpu intensive stuff maybe I could determine if it runs at fast as possible. (might be poorly worded but I hope you understood what I meant)

mats96

I got another question which might be stupid one but does the power adapter might have any effect how fast my cpu and fans work? Since sometimes in games I have to unplug and then replug adapter to get fps up.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is an electrical issue with the motherboard. I would probably take it in somewhere to be confirmed.