Question about hard drive replacement

tedstriker

I apologize for the lack of details so I'm basically just looking for a general answer here.

The hard drive in my Toshiba laptop crapped out on me back in 2006, so I replaced it with a new one. Now I'm fairly certain that the one I ordered and installed was the exact same as the one I took out. Well it worked perfectly for TWO years, then I start getting this crazy blue error screen. So my mom has this computer guy that works for her and shes having him look at it. Hes saying that I put the wrong hard drive in two years ago.

My question I guess, is it possible for the thing to work perfectly fine for 2 years and then suddenly spazz out like that? Just because it is the "wrong" one?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a load of bull to me. If you put the wrong anything in it generally doesn't fit.

Caminokid

I would get my laptop back. There is no wrong hard drive. I remember the first laptops that wouldnt take a certain bigger drive...but if it didnt work...then it didnt work. It wouldnt work 2 years then all of a sudden be the wrong drive.

tedstriker

Well the thing is the guy works with my mom on a regular basis and owes her a favor, so I'm pretty sure hes not going to screw her. I'm just wondering if hes just making up crap or what.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
He is making stuff up. He may be able to fix it but the problem wasn't you getting the wrong drive, a part probably just failed. Do you remember what blue screens you were getting?

tedstriker

Thats what I figured, that some other part was failing. I would be right in the middle of doing a scandisk and it would just stop and the blue screen came up. I really can't remember what it said, something about stopping to avoid a critical error or something like that. I'm sure I could have troubleshot it a little more but I don't have time to mess with it right now and since he would do it free I just let her take it to him.

Just sounds like hes making me look like an idiot ya know. I'm not a computer genius, but I fixed aviation electronics for 8 years so I'm not completely ignorant either. Thanks for the reassurance that it wasn't the "wrong part." I should tell her to make him give back the old hard drive. lol

massahwahl

VIP Member
The guy is a moron! Your new HDD probably is going bad, but not as a result of being wrong to begin with. As long as the drive was the same physical size and connection type it would be fine and if it had been wrong to begin with it would never have worked correctly. Get your stuff back!

Hugh9191

If it was the wrong type of drive then there would have been no way of connecting it up.

Get your kit back and run memtest86 on it and also some HDD diagnostics.

are you running windows, if you are getting a crazy blue screen then its more then likley the bsod, if it is try to reinstall windows, that should fix the error, if it doesnt then your harddrive went bad, theres no wrong types of harddrive for a computer, its either IDE or SATA, and either 2.5 or 3.5

a desktop useing 3.5 and a laptop uses 2.5 size, a 3.5 wouldnt even fit in a laptop so yeah hes just talking and he doesnt know what he is talking about